Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i turn on my heat (or cold) and when i have it on 0-3 it is slightly blowing, but there is no difference on how much air is actually coming out (it is very little air). However, when i put the dial on 4, the air rushes out at full power. How do i get the intermediate numbers to work? Thanks in advance [thumb]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sounds like the switch is going bad...maybe try taking the switch apart and cleaning the conact points...it just sounds like you have dust or something on the contact points preventing an electrical connection

·
Registered
162 Posts
This happened to my mom's car and it ended being the resistor in the switch. The resistor controls how much electricity gets to the motor, when it is bad it's either on or off.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> This happened to my mom's car and it ended being the resistor in the switch.

It could be the resitor pack, but it's not in the switch -- it's located near the blower motor.

Do a message search on resistor pack and you will find lots of info.

P.S. when the resistor pack goes it usually kills all but the highest speed completely, so it could be the selector switch, but I'd check the resistor pack first myself. I'd say 70% odds on resistor pack, 25% it's the selector switch, and 5% it's the wiring or something else.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
it is the resistor... Setting 4 has no resistor its a deadshort for full speed.. setting 1-2-3 have different Resistor values which slow the blower fan down for each number :)

its about a 10-15 min job to replace it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i just have to replace the resistor? How much would that cost?

I cleaned the switch itself, so it's not that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the motor resistor/controller pack as described on this link it cost no more than £15, This did fix it but...........It only last about three days until the same fault reapeared, I guess i need to find out why the thermal fuse is blowing, it must be getting hot but why? maybe something is restriciting the fan, any surgestions on what i should do next? I am not experianced with cars so i am starting to think about putting it into a garage unless there are more simple things to check? I am also worried that a garage will just carry out the same fix that i have already done meaning a temporary be fixed.

http://www.amac.f2s.com/Focus1/

any help appreciated.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I replaced the motor resistor/controller pack as described on this link it cost no more than £15, This did fix it but...........It only last about three days until the same fault reapeared, I guess i need to find out why the thermal fuse is blowing, it must be getting hot but why? maybe something is restriciting the fan, any surgestions on what i should do next? I am not experianced with cars so i am starting to think about putting it into a garage unless there are more simple things to check? I am also worried that a garage will just carry out the same fix that i have already done meaning a temporary be fixed.

http://www.amac.f2s.com/Focus1/

any help appreciated.
your fault would lie in the actual 0-1-2-3-4 switch itself
the 00-02 version of switch's are prone to overheat and short

resistors are about $15-20 probably cheaper to get one from Mike at hilbish Ford :)

also if the blower bearings are starting to go they will cause excessive load which will also shorten the life of the resistor

·
Registered
2 Posts
your fault would lie in the actual 0-1-2-3-4 switch itself
the 00-02 version of switch's are prone to overheat and short

resistors are about $15-20 probably cheaper to get one from Mike at hilbish Ford :)

also if the blower bearings are starting to go they will cause excessive load which will also shorten the life of the resistor
A bit confused with your advice, are you saying the switch is causing the fuse to blow? if so i persume i need to fix the fault with the switch but how? is it easy to replace? any idea of how much a switch would cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts