Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Strut bearing mount was defective, caused the spring to jerk and make a noise while turning.

2012 Focus SEL

Sounds like a THOOM from the inside, I feel like more towards the front passenger side from the driver’s perspective, and it seems to be coming more from the middle while listening to it from the outside, as well as a different kind of clunking sound from the outside. I feel like it was coming from whatever part of the steering system connects the wheels together. Also happens more frequently and noticeably when I turn the wheel slower. If I put some ass into turning the wheel it seems to not want to do it.

The car is a roommate’s and I decided I would grace it with a drive and some maintenance as she has been away with her family because of this virus thing, so the car has been sitting a couple months. She was supposed to be back sooner but it never happened, so I got worried enough about it to do something. It wasn’t doing this before she left.

Is there a way I can figure out what the actual problem is first without just chucking money and parts at it, or taking it to a mechanic? I’m sure there is but what should I do to figure it out myself? I don’t know much about steering systems, especially systems without power steering pumps lol.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,438 Posts
You have noted several different sounds/noises. Post a video on ytube (with narration of what you are doing to recreate the noises) so that we can hear them?

Have you noticed any foaming/bubbles in the power steering fluid reservoir immediately after turning the wheels?

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,360 Posts
You have noted several different sounds/noises. Post a video on ytube (with narration of what you are doing to recreate the noises) so that we can hear them?

Have you noticed any foaming/bubbles in the power steering fluid reservoir immediately after turning the wheels?
Doesn't this model have electric steering?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts