Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i'm tired of the stock head unit and been thinkin of replacing it. if found a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X469 for about $150 and it seems like a deal. however no stores round me carry kenwood products and so i dont know much about them. if anyone has experience with this product or any other advice or recommendations i'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
have a kdc-mp922. like it all right, but they're not the most user-friendly decks i've ever seen. also have had problems with the motorized face, but i don't think that unit has one so you should be OK.

Mike

·
Registered
951 Posts
My girlfriend had a couple problems with the one I bought her........has the motorized face. I was talking to the guy that does quite a bit of my installations, he told me Kenwood is at the bottom of his list, only one notch above Sony. So now my gf wants an Alpine just like mine. I only recommend 2 brands.......Alpine and Eclipse.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Go Pioneer. Great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I managed a car audio store for a few years and we sold most of the major brands of headunits. Kenwood is a brand I would not recommend to anyone. The other people here that have said they had problems with the motorized face are correct, we had more returns and repairs on those decks. The headunit also has a fairly low sound quality as well as high impedance mosfets for the amplification so they dont produce much power efficiently. If you are looking for bang for your buck, Panasonic makes a lot of really nice looking and feature packed headunits. The laser mechanism that they use is the same laser that Eclipse and Rockford use in their headunits. It will read better than most other brands and skips less. They also have a very small return rate. The Panasonic products are reliable, sound good and fairly inexpensive. I did lots of comparisons in my store with other headunits (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Rockford, Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion, Nakamichi) and you just cannot get the same performance for the price.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Check Ebay for some deals.......got my Alpine for $212.00 new in the box. Usually sells for around $280.00 or so at most places.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just wonderin once i get a new head unit, if i ever do, how well it fits and what kinda harness or anything i need for the unit to fit well?

·
Registered
951 Posts
When I installed my Alpine I had to buy 2 things......the wiring harness and then the actual harness that the player sits in to be able to fit properly. I think the brand is "scosh" (sp?), they make the harness. Both were 16 bucks and it was an easy install. The only thing I'm not fond of is the lil cubby hole above the player is not big enough to fit anything in. I used to be able to fit my wallet in the cubby in my truck and Jeep, but not the Focus. I picked mine up at the local Good Guys, imagine you can go anywhere and they should have it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just purchased my Panasonic CQ-HX2083U deck hopefully will have the money for it to be installed within 2 weeks for next payday :) I have had other models, last was a clarion navigation system. I will give ya a review of this deck when I have it installed. Only downside I've heard so far is that in the sunlight you can't see the deck very good, but night time viewing makes up for it.

This will be my first panasonic head unit. before this for nice quality, I had a Pioneer

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the kenwood KDCX-869 and i stinkin love it. I cant say much for their other decks but this is is pretty dang good. That also might be cause it retails for over 400 but it does everything and more then i ever will need. Sounds awesome especially with the kwood excelon 10" dvc subs which i have only seen beat by audiobahn

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
not 2 advertise or nothin, but eclipse is the bomb-not 2 falshy, but definetally worth the money-i'm gonna get one as soon as i save some green!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts