Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs for my car.

Here is the problem. Low beams work fine, but when I turn the high beams on they don't come on. Checked the bulbs and the filiments are ok. What could be wrong here, bad bulbs or do I need to update the power to my headlights?

Thank you for your help.

Edit: Headlights are completely stock.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
bulbs should have two fillaments, check that both are ok.

Next, check your fuses, i dont remember which ones to check, but its best to just go through and check each one. There is a fuse box in the engine bay right at the corner next to the driver door, and another fuse box below the steering wheel on the driver-side. Autozone has a small thing that you can touch to the end of the fuse and it will tell you if its good or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bulbs should have two fillaments, check that both are ok.

Next, check your fuses, i dont remember which ones to check, but its best to just go through and check each one. There is a fuse box in the engine bay right at the corner next to the driver door, and another fuse box below the steering wheel on the driver-side. Autozone has a small thing that you can touch to the end of the fuse and it will tell you if its good or not.

Fuses are fine. Put one of my old bulbs in and it work, while the other one didn't. I checked the bulb and it looks fine.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Maybe try and return them and get a different set, maybe its the bulb?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
First problem is you got silver star ultras...
Trash them and get Hella Xenon Blue bulbs

The Ultras will probably only last a few moths if you're lucky anyways.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will those Hella bulbs work in my stock lights?
And where can I get those?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yeah they make them in the right number for Focus. You can get them at most auto parts stores. Had them in all my lights when I had my truck. Next best thing to HIDs. They are about the same price as the silverstars. I never had one go out even with jumping my truck in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
brighter = less life.

It actually says that on the back of one of the boxes, maybe Sylvania, I can't remember. Anyway, read the backs of the boxes and eventually you'll find it. That's why I stuck with halogens.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I had a set of the hellas for almost 3 years before one went out. Whenever I was offloading my high beams would be on for hours at a time and the ones in my auxiliary light where 100w. Sold those lights to a friend 2 years ago and is still running the hella bulbs I put in them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will never buy Silverstar again....waste of money

VERY short life.... it even says so on the packaging as previously mentioned..

I tried them on my civic, yes a little brighter, but after 3 mos. of night driving..
poof... in went a new set of cheapo walmart sylvanias--

good for the last two years....

Good car headlights are all about "engineering"...not bulb brightness...
My SAAB 95, had high & low of "H1" 50watt bulbs... these were unsupassed
as far as great headlights..why do they work better even though they were only 50watts? - good reflector design... I've never seen better..

I've noticed that my '12 Focus has decent lighting (better that the civic)
and also "E style" headlight pattern. It's design did come from Europe ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts