Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an '03 ZX5 Ford Focus, the relay (automatic) head lights remain on when the car is off, keys are out of the ignition & ALL lights are turned off. The only way to turn the lights off is to disconnect the battery. We have replaced the relay headlight fuse but the problem remains. 2 months ago I had a stereo installed by Powered up (not sure if that matters).
If you have any suggestions that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is it a hatch or wagon? If so, check the wiring harness that runs into the hatch...that black rubber boot needs to be pulled out to check the wires therein for broken insulation or frayed spots. The '00-'04s are well-known for this.

I'd guess you have at least one that's bad.
If the wire is still solid but the insulation is cracked, a simple piece of electrical tape will solve it. If not, you need to splice, solder, and heat-shrink.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
If your lights remain on with the headlight switch off points to a bad headlight switch.

Does anything else remain on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, thank you for your reply's and help.
It was only the automatic headlights that would stay on & my focus is a hatchback!
The problem was a fuse (like I thought), I was pulling the R12 fuse out (that what the owner's manual said was the relay headlights) but when I took the car to Ford they said it was fuse 22.
Ford replaced the fuse for only $44 & everything is running properly now!
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Congrats on your fix... but...

You thought a bad fuse was keeping your (DRL) lights on?

Was it was a custom-made aftermarket circuit designed by a comedian?

If that problem really was fixed after replacing a fuse, I obviously have something new to learn. If true, this is a crazy funny design.

Seriously, can anyone here explain this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was the DRL. I'm not quite sure what was going on with it! I bought my car used but I do believe it came with all the standard parts, without anything after market

1 - 8 of 8 Posts