Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a good combination of headlights and foglights for the winter. I want to get yellow fog lights and some whiter headlights (Without going xenon or bi-xenon). Yes, I could search, but the threads I've found are a bit old. Besides, some [drinking] may or may not have been involved in the creation of this thread.

My questions are three-fold. 1) Are yellow bulbs or yellow lamin-x better? I've had lamin-x and it looked cool all the time, but I feel bulbs may have been a bit better in the elements (ie Snow). 2) What are the best headlights? I've seen a lot of debate about this and honestly this is how I feel after reading everything I've found...[?|] 3) If yellow fog bulbs are the best, what are the best buy?

·
Registered
763 Posts
For non-HID headlight bulbs I would go with the Philips X-treme visions. Don't go with a blue tinted bulb.

See here for more info on the blue tinted/ blue tipped bulbs:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Sorry, don't know anything about yellow fogs.
I had some of those blue tinted bulbs and while I wouldn't recommend them, I saw no evidence of scattered light, extra glare or varying color shades. That link is a huge scare campaign. I wouldn't recommend using them because they put out a really soft white light (like using 1 energy saver bulb to like a 3000 square room) the light output is completely lost in the darkness, even worse in the rain akin to driving with no headlights at all.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I think yellow is better for a foglights... You don't wanna go with the HID Xenon lights but take a look at the premium European car manufacturers, they all use HIDs

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had some of those blue tinted bulbs and while I wouldn't recommend them, I saw no evidence of scattered light, extra glare or varying color shades. That link is a huge scare campaign. I wouldn't recommend using them because they put out a really soft white light (like using 1 energy saver bulb to like a 3000 square room) the light output is completely lost in the darkness, even worse in the rain akin to driving with no headlights at all.
I was hoping the yellow fogs with offset any glare from the blue tips, but now that I'm thinking about it, it may just be better to avoid it all together.

What about Silverstars? I'e heard good and bad about those. Does anyone actually have them? The fog lights is really the one I'm kind of lost on. I've never bought separate bulbs for fog lights before. Always kept the stock ones and added lamin-x. Wasnt to impressed with that on my GTI though. Although, it looked really cool during the day lol

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I know a good light bulb is a must, speaking of a road safety, I'm planing my annual road trip for Christmas, more than 2,000KM one way, I'm trying to make a decision between HID xenon light bulbs or just the regular ones, plus I need to plug my foglights. But all of this means putting more money in a car that I want to get rid of it... IDK for sure if it's worthless or not

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I know a good light bulb is a must, speaking of a road safety, I'm planing my annual road trip for Christmas, more than 2,000KM one way, I'm trying to make a decision between HID xenon light bulbs or just the regular ones, plus I need to plug my foglights. But all of this means putting more money in a car that I want to get rid of it... IDK for sure if it's worthless or not
You should probably just get rid of your car, sounds like it's a POS and Ford is worthless.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You should probably just get rid of your car, sounds like it's a POS and Ford is worthless.
I wish I could! But market is different here, the dealer as I've visited they won't take my Focus as a trade in (if the Focus were 2011 or less, they will, but not the 2012-2013) and I can't sale it on the street (some dealer advice that) cause I don't own the title... I'm stuck with I car I don't like until then
:(
I tried with Ford, I was trying to get the all new escape but when I said I own a 2013 Focus, they told me no... Then they suggest me why don't you try to sell it on the street and then you can come back and take the escape you want... Such is life in MX

·
Registered
763 Posts
You can do a private sale, the sale just has to be enough to cover the payoff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts