Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else feels like their low-beams are aimed slightly too low from the factory, or if its just me???[scratch] I love the headlights on my Focus compared to the atrocious Dodge Ram headlights we had before, it just seems like the cutoff is too soon. I have the halogen lights btw. I finally found how to adjust them in the manual so I will be trying that soon.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As long as it stays below the rear window of cars in front....

Garage door or similar can help with aim, cutoff should be slightly lower than headlight height.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately for me my driveway is angled :( Is there a way to compensate for being at an angle?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
So is mine.

I usually don't even bother with a yardstick for a quick check (mind you I've done it often enough not to have to measure normally at home, only with a notably different car).

Stand in front of the headlight & mark the cutoff on your leg with a finger, walk to the door & see where that falls. As long as it's slightly lower at that point your lights aren't pointed up.

Left side of the beam is the flat cutoff, tapers up to the right. Flat part is what you measure. Mine on the Focus are oddball compared to some, a bit of a double beam on the left one with a weaker level portion & a brighter lower one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Sailor. I will be sure to not aim them too high. Have a good holiday weekend.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're Welcome - enjoy yours!

"just right" works best, too low doesn't let you see much & too high doesn't light up the road as well. High beams in the trees are useless, and even the lows have reduced visibility when up too far.

I've seen adjusted too low to start often, you've got a good idea to check & adjust as needed.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I think the key is 'From the factory" well I would expect the dealer is responsible for adjusting them when they go over the car for perdelivery ...
Personally I doubt a lot of stuff on the car gets a good 'inspection/adjustment' by some dealers..
I would certainly think the dealer IS responsible for seeing the headlights are properly adjusted before delivery.
100% so.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I adjusted mine up 2 1/2 turns. I can see very well and I don't get flashed by people. I had to do that to my Nissan Frontier, and my step-daughters Toyota Matrix as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been working at dealers for a long time now and cant say I have ever seen the new car PDI (pre-delivery inspection) person check headlight aim. They put in some fuses, peel some plastic, screw on an antenna and check major fluids, park on lot.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I raised them just a little and I'm happy now. Might just be in my head but I believe I can see better.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Front wheel drive cars have headlights aimed low. When you put people in the back the weight points the lights up, like a truck with a heavy load. If you drive without people in it they are too low. 2.5 turns should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The philips scrrew to adjust.. naturally one side stripped as soon as i tried to turn it. Then the outer shell, Naturally it is a 7mm hex, What do i own? an 8, and a 6 but not a 7.
Thank you Ford... [hihi]
Now I will go buy a 7mm hex tool, and I will probably discover the hex is only for show, and the adjuster really is ruined..
Thank you size 2 phillips slot made of soft plastic... [???:)]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The philips scrrew to adjust.. naturally one side stripped as soon as i tried to turn it. Then the outer shell, Naturally it is a 7mm hex, What do i own? an 8, and a 6 but not a 7.
Thank you Ford... [hihi]
Now I will go buy a 7mm hex tool, and I will probably discover the hex is only for show, and the adjuster really is ruined..
Thank you size 2 phillips slot made of soft plastic... [???:)]
Elizabeth, I'd let you borrow my hex tools if I could. Hope they don't give you too much more trouble![bash]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The hex in the caliper guide pin is 7mm if I recall correctly, isn't it? It's actually probably one of my most used hex bits with all of the Fords my family owns!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts