Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off. i have aftermarket headlights.

the passenger side headlight is always getting moisture in it and today after it sat in the rain/snow all day last night i was able to pour out about 4oz of water.

ive used goop to try and seal it up but its not working.

what should i use?

·
Registered
658 Posts
First off. i have aftermarket headlights.

the passenger side headlight is always getting moisture in it and today after it sat in the rain/snow all day last night i was able to pour out about 4oz of water.

ive used goop to try and seal it up but its not working.

what should i use?
Have you tried using headlights that don't leak?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are these headlights from eBay? If so, do yourself a favor and put your stock ones back on. lol

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I would ignore all the previous posts, obviously these people are ignorant and don't want to help anyone.

My suggestion would be to bake the headlights and pull them apart. You can find many how-to's on here how to do it. Usually aftermarket headlights don't use a perma-seal type sealant that the factory headlights use, and it's fairy easy to get them apart. Once you get them apart, clean the insides up, and use something like this to re-seal them:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/oci-butyl-rubber-glue.html#.VGbuhpDF8gs

Obviously you like the looks of your aftermarket headlights and don't want to put the stock ones back on, or buy new ones. I think this is your best option without spending a bunch of money. This option might take a bit of work, but once it's done they should be good for the life of the car if done correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would ignore all the previous posts, obviously these people are ignorant and don't want to help anyone.

My suggestion would be to bake the headlights and pull them apart. You can find many how-to's on here how to do it. Usually aftermarket headlights don't use a perma-seal type sealant that the factory headlights use, and it's fairy easy to get them apart. Once you get them apart, clean the insides up, and use something like this to re-seal them:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/oci-butyl-rubber-glue.html#.VGbuhpDF8gs

Obviously you like the looks of your aftermarket headlights and don't want to put the stock ones back on, or buy new ones. I think this is your best option without spending a bunch of money. This option might take a bit of work, but once it's done they should be good for the life of the car if done correctly.

Just my 2 cents.
i've baked them before and tried a silicone caulk to reseal. no luck

i was honestly thinking of this as my next step. along with some silica packets.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
136 Posts
Drill a small hole in the bottom to let the moisture out?
Leave the rubber caps off the back so they can breath?
Clear silicon the top edge?
Drive with the lights on longer to dry them out?

Need to find if its a leak or condensation? if a leak then need to seal it. If condensation you are better venting them

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i picked up some of this today from my local autozone. RIBBON SEALER
if this doesnt work. going to try and drill a hole. or just live with my stock ti ones.

i honestly expected better quality out of a junyan set up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts