Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chef Boyardee
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw the sticky already, just curious what product you guys have used, and the results you've gotten. looking into this as my headlights throw about as much light out as a 5 year old flashlight (the one you gotta bang to make work) and i have no money to buy new ones. i've seen mixed results with all, and am just curious. sylvania, 3m, turtle wax?

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
I used Meguires and it worked great. Though I did end up just buying new lights due to the clearness not lasting, though I didn't seal them up with anything afterwards just what came in the kit. If I did it again then I would seal the headlights up with something to keep them that way longer. Of course my headlights were years old by then.

·
Chef Boyardee
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah mines a 00 and I believe the front end has damage, so idk what's all been done with the lights at this point. either way they're really scratched, not very hazy though. i would just like to bring back the clearness so I have a decent light output, as I plan on new bulbs soon too to optimize my output. I just know for 20 bucks any kit will do it's purpose, and last as long as I need it to

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
I used 3M, but it really wasn't to restore a headlight. It was more to fix very deep gouges in the headlight from an accident. It worked great, I did have to use the entire kit on the one headlight to remove all the scratches, but after a year, no change at all from when I first did it.

Before:

A lil over a year later:

·
Chef Boyardee
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pyro, I feel like i should just pm you any question I have because you answer everything I need to know lol. It rules having someone answer all my questions, especially with the rep you have. after i'm paid next week i'll probably do the restore, to get my lights clear before winter hits. my light scatters alot, so they need it regardless of the age of them

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
pyro, I feel like i should just pm you any question I have because you answer everything I need to know lol. It rules having someone answer all my questions, especially with the rep you have. after i'm paid next week i'll probably do the restore, to get my lights clear before winter hits. my light scatters alot, so they need it regardless of the age of them
Thanks! Glad I can help. After you restore them, I would look into getting clear lamin-x, they make it pre-cut for our cars, or do a clearcoat so they stay looking new, or newish lol

·
Chef Boyardee
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking at that.. 50 for head and fog lights, and I wanna keep my brand new fogs looking brand new. do you recommend clear or colors?

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
I got yellow lamin-x for my fogs, iirc it was about $12 for the fogs, coupled with the yellow bulbs, it really produces some awesome yellow light. The reason for yellow in fogs, is yellow light actually cuts through fog making foglights do what they are intended for. Oh and just so you know, most of my rep has actually been from all the awesome photoshops I have made for lots of people on this great forum. I'll leave you with this:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299778

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297901

And there are plenty more chops that I have done floating around here!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I restored mine by wet sanding with 1000, 1500, and then 2000 grit sandpaper.
Final buff with some Mothers mag wheel polish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just DIY with varying grades of wet/dry sand paper (as per the previous post) and then finish with Mothers or Meguiars plastic polish. It took me about 30 minutes per headlight and, while they don't look brand-new, they are vastly improved. Total cost for materials was less than $10...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts