Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i notice once in a while in the mornings that ill be driving and the lights will dim a little and then come back normal and then dim a little and come back.its like a camera trying to focus. happens with dims on and brights. Also on days that this does happen its always in the first 6 minutes or so of driving. anyone have any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Take your pick...

Alternator
battery
Battery cables
Battery connections on posts
Grounds
Pigtail on alternator

Get in there and look around. Are the battery connections clean and tight?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
new alternator and battery new this year. guess ill check the rest thanks.
battery connection........i always get this white kinda chalky buildup bad on the negative battery post/ connection.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
`Ok
A start. Clean that battery connection off. Get some anti battery corrosion stuff or whatever. Perhaps you have a crack in the battery case and fumes are coming up and causing corrosion.

My rough guess is perhaps the alternator pigtail has bad connections, get a replacement pigtail from Ford. Solder the replacement in using shrink tubing.

But before you do get a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight cost is $0.0 to $10.00
Look in Popular Science, Mechanics, NRA magazine etc etc etc for their ad

Go to YouTube type in battery alternator multimeter, alternatively type in voltmeter in place of multimeter.

there you will find a multitude of videos of varying quality
You need to figure out the voltage that you see across the battery when...
The car is off
Car is running
car is running and headlights on + heater on

Yes you can turn the cluster into a voltmeter [which others can tell you how to do it] but that will never allow you to do the following: set multimeter to AC Volts to check for bad diodes [Zero Volts = good]

Want to check while you are going down the road? Connect multimeter to one of those 12 Volts plugs that go in cig lighter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts