Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much dimmer will my lights be if I paint the whole thing?

Mine are in pretty rough shape, I don't feel like buying new or JY ones and all black is kind of my style.

any guesses?

Paint is drying as we speak

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some Piaa things. Bright as hell = lots of heat and the chrome is flaking off, housings are melting LOL Hence why I want to paint them, make em look a little more presentable.

For reference, the chrome part in this pic would be black as well as the outside:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
yea the chrome part is what reflects the lights...i think if you painted the bottom part and left the reflectors alone it would be alright, but if you paint the reflectors then you wont have any forward lights, the housings would just light up....i think if you painted it like the picture it'll look awesome

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Iminhell i have a spare set of grey 03 headlights....I can take on apart and paint the entire thing black and wire up a bulb if you are interested to see what the result would be...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually what kind of shape are they in?

See here is the problem:

The white is where the chrome used to be. I wiped the dust off and the chrome came with.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
The ones i have are in great shape. The rear tabs are off of them, and the passenger lens could use a bit of restoring otherwise they are fine to use and such.

I can take pics if you are interested in them just pm me. I got them from another memeber and were going to keep them around as spares in case anything happened to my own. Just pm me though. I will snap some pictures too.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
oh wow, im sure that the light output will suck. theres a reason they are chrome; to reflect the light.

projectors FTW

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well i wanted to see how much light output was reduced with black instead of chrome. Answer is A LOT, a lot more than I thought it would be.
I took an old flashlight and painted it, made sure the paint was real nice and shinny. Didn't matter, it just sucked.

High temp chrome is next, and I've never got that to look like real chrome but I'll give it my best shot.

Just sucks being a poor ass.

*edit

I said screw it. I just put them back together. They are not in good enough shape to dick with and take my time on. More of a learning process thing than anything else. have to buff the outside of the lens tomorrow and I'll post final pics, not too bad from 10' away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts