Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a focus st3 2016 from a VW garage (ironically an event that seem to blow Ford and VWs mind and not fit in with any of both manufacturers policies), within six months i got a “headlight malfunction service warning light on the dash) I took it to ford (after 50 phone calls between the two) turns out one of the wires that go into the headlight itself has snapped) ford say they can’t repair only replace - it will cost £1200 For 1 light! The mechanic said it’s a unit failure- no impact signs or penetration of unit.
VW said that it is not covered as wiring is exempt from their warranty leaving me helpless, stuck between the two and with a 1200 slacker bill to pay - does anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are overseas and most of us are in America we don't get the same headlights you do. Why not replace the headlight yourself how much would that cost.
Maybe get one from a junkyard.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Ford and many other companies have that "replace not repair" policy in place for several valid reasons. This policy also carries over into the department of defense (DOD) and civil aviation (FAA) and ditto for other similar international companies and agencies. With that dribble out of the way... let's talk about repair.

Most independent or DIY car mechanics and electricians have a never quit attitude or "if I can't fix it, no one can". Find one of these people, and let them attempt a repair of the headlight assembly. The assembly will obviously need to be removed from the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, think I’ll just replace the light myself.
Thanks Arthur for the link to the article, it seems like it’s quite a common fault on European models- Is it as simple of unscrewing the unit and plugging the new light in using the cable socket?

I don’t have to do anything more like disconnecting battery or resetting the alert computer do I?
Will the fault warning then not come up on the dash??
Thanks in advance 😋

·
Registered
8 Posts
TBH, I am not sure....i have halogen lights so it doesn't have that problem. But yes, I think it is kind of plug and play, only has to be corrrectly adjusted.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Correct would have you disconnect the battery before doing any work, one has no idea of what possible live power wiring might be in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts