Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 ZX3-S that I have been trying to install OEM fogs on. Anyway, I went to start on working on putting eveythin in todaywhen I realized that the switch I had bought, equpped for fogs, would not fit my '05. Everything that I had read, said that ALL the switches were the same from 2000-2006. Needless to say, this is NOT true.

The switch on the left in the pic is the one out of my '05, the one on the right is a used switch that I picked up from Ebay. I'm sure that you can see the difference between the switches, the '00-'04 will not fit in the '05-'06 Foci. I posted something about this over at fj and had someone ask if it were possible to swap the internals. Well, I've done that and here is the new switch.

So far, I have installed the switch and tested it with my headlights and parking lights, so far - so good. I haven't installed my fogs yet, so I am not able to test that portion of the modded switch. Anyway, I'll post later on whether or not the whole thing works. I figured that I would post this info here just in case this might help someone some day.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hmmm... that's too bad. I bought a switch from FORDSVTPARTS on FJ, new OEM Fog capable switch cost me $30 shipped iirc. I am sure it must have been an '05 switch that I bought. I can definitely see the different in the molding.

Glad I didn't attempt to buy one off of ebay.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you bought one from Steve for your '05, I'm sure it was the right one. Not only that, if it fit into your '05, it must be right.

Polar, did you add OEM fogs to your '05? Now that I've got the switch in, and from looking at a Focus wiring diagram, I think that I've come up with a very simple way to add them on, my ZX3-S doesn't have any wiring at relay position 13 for fogs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Neither did mine. I think it is because our cars don't use the relay...

I think we have the fogs that will turn on at anytime (park or headlight), I have read about some '05 and '06 that are that way.

I did not want to search around for where to tap in the engine compartment, so I just ran a wire in and tapped off of pin 3, pin #3, on the headlight switch, that is the active trigger wire for the fogs. That runs to my relay to energize it to then power my fogs.

I am sure that somewhere I have the leads near the front bumper for factory fogs, but since I did not use factory fogs, see my gallery for a pic of what I used, I just ran my own hella fog light harness.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Polar,
When you tapped into the switch and ran the wiring from there on out, what size wiring did you run? I've got a bunch of 16ga. stranded but I've been contemplating going up to 14 for the "just in case" factor. What do you think?

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are running it to a relay, which you SHOULD BE, you can run 18ga. It is just enough to trigger the relay. There is no need for a just in case, since you are only using it to trigger a relay.

Do NOT attempt to run your fogs off of this as their power source.

I ran 16ga myself, since I had a spare spool of it sitting around.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't so much worried about the wiring going to the relay as I was the wiring coming out of the relay and then being spliced/split and ran to each lamp. I'll probably go ahead and use the 16ga. that I have.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got my fogs installed yesterday and the switch that a cobbled together works fine. I can't turn on my fogs with just my park lamps on, but that really isn't that big of a deal to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts