Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually wax my headlights to prevent this type of thing from happening. I use mequires liquid wax, it lasts quite a bit and has uv protection, it also helps keep salt etc from winter roads from actually working away at the plastics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WiscoGTI,
Yes the 3M kit may polish and make it look good but that kit is missing a very important piece and that is UV protection. If you sand and polish your factory lens you must apply UV coating back on the bare lens. If you do not apply this product your lens will fade and discolor even quicker. There are a few kits out there with full UV protection. I have personal experience with developing a kit that has this UV protection and in my opinion the only way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did this to my focus. Ive done it before but I thought it could be better plus I wanted to do my fog lights. I noticed that they came out like new. I got lots of compliments and noticed they were brighter

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have the equipment then just clear coat after sanding and buffing. Then no worries for years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've used this before and I feel obligated to tell you that it'll last probably 6 months before it turns yellow. I did this to my car and after they turned yellow, I took it to sams club where for $30 they did the job for me and then gave me a 10 year warranty for the fix. The 3m is decent for short term but I would recommend the sams club option.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Spar Urethane works as a coating but I would recommend coating them with one of the permanent coatings such as Optimum Opti Coat, C.A.R. Bullet Proof, Cquartz, etc. The 3m kit is pure marketing crap and although it is a temporary fix to oxidized headlights, a proper sanding and polishing method is really the only thing that wont make the lights yellow or oxidize back out after a few months (that is only if you do the permanent coating, re-clear coat or the Spar urethane route). You need high speed cutting power paired with a good compound, polish and pad choice. The folks at 3M are just removing the surface oxidation layer, but actually using a pneumatic or electric sander with various grits and speeds will make the lights look a helluva lot better and also stay nicer for longer.

Sean

61 - 67 of 67 Posts