Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just bought some new headlights to put in my 2004 SVT-EAP. As I understand it, my SVT already comes with HID lights. The new lights I purchased specifically say NOT to use HID bulbs. I don't know why... maybe they are too hot and they will melt the plastic. Who knows? Anyhow, do I need to do anything special with my car's stock lights other than taking them out and replacing them with my new lights? The new lights already come with bulbs, btw. I know there was some talk of ballast, but it's all Greek to me. I'm a doctor, not an electrician! Plus I have to find a way to aim them too. Also, the lights have the cute little halo feature. I'm told to somehow splice those into the parking light wires OR the side marker lights. Any thoughts on that too? Any help would be appreciated before I blow something up or break down and pay a 15 year old to do it for me. :)

Thanks,

Theydon :)

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
First welcome to the forum. Second if your car has HID then it's best to go back with that same kind of headlight. I'm sure you could downgrade if you wanted to but we all try so hard to get the HID's lol. Sorry to say I can't help you due to the fact I don't know what the wiring looks like on your car. Not many came with HID's from the factory.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
well i see u have a EAP SVT, which comes with the HID mach headlights. what ur describing u bought are halo projector headlights, which is a significant downgrade from ur current HID lights. the reason it says not to put HID's in the projectors is, they werent made for it. they wont melt because HID's burn cooler than halogen lights do. the lense on the projector lights wasnt made for HID lights. if i were u, i wouldnt install those lights and i would just sell em. what u have now is the best....in my eyes.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Or you could just ship me your EAP headlights my way ;)

But in all seriousness, the projector headlights that was already on the car is one of the best.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you really don't know what you're doing, I'd find someone who does. It isn't too complicated. However, headlights being the vital necessity that they are, you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Its basically just a swap if I'm not mistaken, minus your issue with the preexisting HID headlights. There are a lot of threads here about halo headlights, try searching for "headlight install" here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/search.php

As for your current headlights, keep them in storage, I'm pretty sure they cost like $800 for factory replacements. Just because you have the nicest OEM headlights doesn't mean you can't have other headlights! Come on guys, lets try to make some good first impressions rather then telling him what to do with his car.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Sounds like your car came with the mach HID headlights. In that case you should keep your original lights IMO. They will be better than aftermarket projectors.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Factory lighting trumps aftermarket solutions, especially cheap aftermarket solutions, 90% of the time.

Your MACH HIDs are the most desirable set of lights to have on a focus, why change them out?

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
naw, those HIDS suck, get some regular better headlights, and ship those nasty HIDs to me....i will cover your shipping cost :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your car came with HID, so why would you want to down-grade your lighting and ruin your visibility. BTW, your car is over 6 years old, and most likely your bulbs as well, so sell your new headlights and just buy some new Phillips 85122+ D2S bulbs and call it a day. New bulbs will make your headlights a lot brighter.

Do not buy new bulbs from the dealership. go to The Retrofit Source($95 + shipping), or ebay and you can find them for a 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
maybe they are too hot and they will melt the plastic. Who knows?
just an fyi, HIDs run much cooler than regular bulbs :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey All,

I just bought some new headlights to put in my 2004 SVT-EAP. As I understand it, my SVT already comes with HID lights. The new lights I purchased specifically say NOT to use HID bulbs. I don't know why... maybe they are too hot and they will melt the plastic. Who knows? Anyhow, do I need to do anything special with my car's stock lights other than taking them out and replacing them with my new lights? The new lights already come with bulbs, btw. I know there was some talk of ballast, but it's all Greek to me. I'm a doctor, not an electrician! Plus I have to find a way to aim them too. Also, the lights have the cute little halo feature. I'm told to somehow splice those into the parking light wires OR the side marker lights. Any thoughts on that too? Any help would be appreciated before I blow something up or break down and pay a 15 year old to do it for me. :)

Thanks,

Theydon :)
The main idea has to do with the faded and yellowed lenses moreso than the lights themselves. It was just easier to get new lights, but afterward I discovered that the new ones are not HIDs. I just want the car to look better with clear lenses; I'm not so much concerned about the output intensity of the light.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Or buy some stock lights, throw em in an oven for a few mins, pull the clear lens or cover off. Then do the same with your stock lights. Glue and seal it back together. I think there is a how too on it somewhere?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts