Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Should I do ST170's???

• Yes! Do it! Do it now! And get an HID conversion!

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Yes! Do it now! But don't waste money on the HID conversion!

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • NO!!! Don't do it! Don't be stupid! The Mach HID's can't be replaced!

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting HID's for quite some time, but they're expensive and hard to come by. An alternative I've been considering is getting ST170's instead, and, if I really feel the need, I could always do an HID conversion on those.

Basically I want to have something unique and better-looking than stock.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1)Switch to ST170's
2)Put eyelids on the ST170's
3)Euro grill
4)Hoen's or HID conversion as needed

Is this worthwhile? If I don't do the conversion, it'll be less money... but will I be left lusting after those HID's???

Either way, it'd look pretty good IMO.

·
Registered
485 Posts
if youre going to do hids anyway, get the hid kit...you wont blind people, they will look better, light the road more efficiently

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have some patience and wait for a good deal on HID's, you'll be thankful you spent the money, no point in doing it halfass.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cpyder said:
How much do you want to spend on HIDs?
I'm more-or-less certain that HID's would cost more than this setup, not to mention that they are difficult to find, especially at a good price.

Indeed, the Mach's are a great setup, but why not do this? It's a bit of a debate.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i like you idea, would be different. But also you find a used pair of EAP/Mach HID's and have them painted black like UtahSVT has his....oooooo would look so badass on a black car.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If your going to do the ST170's and an HID conversion on them you may want to go
HERE
And get your HID kit there, the cheepest I've seen and from a reputable sponsor of this website [thumb]

Troy.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
ztecpower said:
If your going to do the ST170's and an HID conversion on them you may want to go
HERE
And get your HID kit there, the cheepest I've seen and from a reputable sponsor of this website [thumb]

Troy.

From that weebsite:
We recommend that you keep your stock headlight bulbs handy so you can reinstall them when you drive your car on public roads. USE OF AFTER-MARKET HID HEADLIGHTS ON PUBLIC ROADS IS ILLEGAL. OZNIUM LLC SELLS HID HEADLIGHTS STRICTLY FOR USE AT CAR SHOWS OR ON NON-PUBLIC ROADS.

See al the ghosting up top all that will be bliding the drivers around you.. I am surprised mods aren't here yet to tell you

igor

·
Registered
308 Posts
I installed the Mach's in my car about 2 years ago. At that time it cost me about $800 for everything, and that was with a discount at my Ford dealer. I like the lights because they are different, and they are definetely nice to have on mountain roads. However, I wouldn't do it again. In my opinion, it wasn't worth the money. If they came with the car, that would have been one thing. There are times that I've wanted to put my halogen lights back in because I've felt they would have been more efficient for city driving. Sometimes even with the Mach headlights, I get people that flash their highbeams at me. I've even adjusted the lights so they point more at the ground. IMHO, if you want to do the Mach lights, try to find a used pair. Save yourself some cash.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
igor said:
From that weebsite:
We recommend that you keep your stock headlight bulbs handy so you can reinstall them when you drive your car on public roads. USE OF AFTER-MARKET HID HEADLIGHTS ON PUBLIC ROADS IS ILLEGAL. OZNIUM LLC SELLS HID HEADLIGHTS STRICTLY FOR USE AT CAR SHOWS OR ON NON-PUBLIC ROADS.

See al the ghosting up top all that will be bliding the drivers around you.. I am surprised mods aren't here yet to tell you

igor
yea, that's just a demo shot or something, I've seen the conversion from the car in the pic... and it looks real stunning... I'm thinking they can be adjusted or aimed much lower...

But yea, the housing makes a huge huge difference, that's why expensive audi's and bmw's have that beautiful light diffusion...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I am surprised mods aren't here yet to tell you
I'll chime in...
It's illegal to install HID's in a non HID designed housing.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal.
They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations.
They're illegal in the US and Canada.

The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—
that is lens, reflector, bulb...the WHOLE shemozzle—with optics designed for HID usage.

But just putting an HID bulb where a halogen one belongs is bad news all around.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes i've seen more and more Mach HIDs in the B/S/T section. I would just save your money and get the HID's. If not get the ST170 and no HID conversion unless you want to be stupid and blind the other drivers. Be smart and try to not cause problems with on coming and traffic in front of you. I mean look at that pic from that one web site. There is so much light scattered all over, just isnt smart to do that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
what about doing a hid bulb in a projector housing?

·
Registered
444 Posts
They will just make the hot spots more noticeable. I mean the HID bulbs dont change the pattern they just change the intensity of the light. U will still get tons of hot spots and terrible optics.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Isn't a ton of hotspot what we want? As far as I can tell it seems the biggest problem is jsut the direction of the light correct? I realize that they are illegal but what isn't illegal on our cars? Exhaust, tinit, modify intakes, modify suspension, all of that is illegal too. I think that the headlights have bigger implications jsut because it could affect oncoming drivers more so. But even when I am coming up to a BMW he still blinds me and his lights are 'factory' so what gives?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
^^^Exhaust will not kill people...
I know about all HID.. they do blind somewhat and it is annoying.. BUT they still have very clear and conrollable shine line... out lights cannot possibly direct th HID bean.. we just do not have the housing for that..

If you have projector lights, like Mach or Mazda3... then it would be probably possible to modify the beam.. but as It stands.. you will be dangerous TO OTHERS with those lights.. I will not budge on this position..

Igor

·
Registered
444 Posts
No you don't want hot spots! You want an even throw of light so there are no spots of intense and/or dim light. Its should all be and all even throw of light...

And about the illegal thing...its not just bc they are illegal but they can cause problems for other drivers. They can blind on coming or traffic in front of you. Where tint, CAI, exhaust what ever else doesn't directly effect those in front or coming towards you unlike a HID conversion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.