Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My focus is almost 17, and as such the headlights are foggy and yellow and horrible. Also showing some cracks.
I live in Ecuador, my focus comes from europe though. It has leveling headlights (I have a small knob to elevate/lower headlights), the only ZX3 I ever checked didn't if I remember correctly.
So my questions are:

Are these any good?

Or maybe these?

Will I be able to retain the leveling headlights?
I just want durable nice looking ones. I don't really care for extra lights, led strips or anything.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would recommend restoring the ones you have.

In America we don't have self-leveling headlights. I would recommend you replace them with original headlights for a Europe Focus. if you buy replacement headlights for the American market you will not have that self-leveling feature anymore.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them "professionally restored" and a few months later they look like crap again.
I figure all they did is remove the coating so it looks clean again but they didn't do any treatment afterwards.

If I could buy new OEM headlights (not generic brand ones) that's what I would do.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You can do what you want but if you replace them with those headlights you will not have self-leveling. Any headlight for the American market will not have self-leveling. You need to buy headlights from the European market.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Of our two older cars I've restored the headlights on our 2003 Mazda quite a few times (every 2-3 years for the past maybe 10 years) and they look almost like new. On our 2005 Focus however, because it's mostly been kept outside under California sun, the plastic was so damaged, even after restoring the headlights, you could see tiny tears deep into the plastic. I ended up replacing first one and then the other with OEM style headlights and they've looked like new again.

So if you restore them but you can still see the tears inside the headlights, it's possible that they are beyond repair and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whatever you decide to do.
Just be sure to care for them by giving them a coat of wax (preferably carnuba based) about every 6 months. Every 3 if in harsh environments.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
The plastic type got changed to make it spiderweb crack much easier. Ford found out that people were refinishing them and tried to stop it, it costs them headlight assembly sales.

If you sand off 100% of the outer paint coating and use another that has the power to leak into those cracks it will clear them pretty much up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to wet sand and polish mine.

1000 grit/wet
2000 grit/wet
Chemical Guys V32
Chemical Guys V36
DA Polisher

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't get self leveling headlights, aren't they easy to adjust or are the headlights two different sizes and are not interchangeable. I don't ever recall having to relevel my headlights after I installed them.

I'll pile onto the wagon of I've wet sanded headlights with a fine sandpaper and then put UV resistant clear coat on. Doesn't look like new, but does not stick out as a yellow headlight anymore.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
You can polish them to perfect yet over time the plastic will oxidize to then go dull again. Spraying them with clearcoat makes them last much longer. And what the OEM ones do as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts