Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I would re-align my headlights? They seem to be off. My right (passengers side) Headlight goes very far right and barely hits the center line of the car and the left side seems to be very low and only projects about 20 ft in front of the car before it goes dark.

I've looked at other cars and focus's on the road and they seem to have a much better spread pattern. I also noticed that my left (driver's side) light seems to pop out a little where the rubber seal is sticking out around the headlight. This seemed to have happened when my headlight was replaced under warranty for having condensation in it. Could they have slapped it on without aligning it?

Hopefully it's easy to align. Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can tell that its a same with my HID because of the U.S regulation. Since we are on Lefthand Drive, the beams will be swayed toward right to prevent direct contact with on coming traffic. Its somewhere on this site that I read.

If you want the beam to be higher or lower, you can adjust the vertical control by turning the knob. (look in your instructional manual)

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. I figured I'd use the search feature *gasp* rather than creating a new one about something regarding the same topic.

[;)]

Tonight I went out and aligned my headlights, using a brick wall as a reference point. After about 15-20 minutes I got it calibrated perfectly. But after digging around further I began to notice some things, and as a result I've come up with two questions to ask:

1. Is there a reason why the driver side headlight casing is slighty raised higher than the passenger side? I can feel a slight bump when I rub my hand on the driver side headlight, while the passenger side one is in there perfectly flush. The original poster mentions this, and it looks like I've got the same "feature". It's also funny, because the way he describes the left one being much lower (20 ft) was the same exact problem I had. I was frickin' blind! But that's all fixed for now...

2. Are there any state laws regarding how high you can adjust your low beams? I couldn't believe the illumination distance I got on some of the higher settings. I was completely shocked, because I felt like I no longer needed to use my high beams as often. But then after driving around I started to feel a little guilty about the possiblity of blinding other drivers. I certainly hope it's not an issue, especially with state or local laws. I just thought I'd ask before I get a little crazy on the adjustments.

Anyway, that's all for now. For a newb DIY project, I'm happy to see that I've finally done something on my own to fix something on my car. And I have to say I loved how easy it was on the Focus! Unfortunately replacing the side mirrors was another story (damn interior plastic trim!). Ah well.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm guessing the left is aimed lower than the right so you don't blind oncoming motorists with the DS light. I keep mine DS light aimed lower than my left and make a pattern like this on the road:
........._______
____/

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Maybe that's why they left it that way, hEaT. That does make a lot of sense. But I still couldn't stand it. The '95 Maxima I drove around for a while wasn't like that. Right after I got the Focus, I was literally flickering my high beams on every three or four seconds, just to be safe in heavily wooded areas. The fog lights only helped a little. But it got to the point where the blind spot was too much, so I said screw it... and decided to do something about it.

[B)]

My mindset is, there's already a ton of SUVs out there on the road that are constantly blinding us with their "high performance" low beams. If Six-Pack Joe can drive his blinding giganto-tank around in the same streets as me, I can drive a blinding subcompact around as well. And with all these stories of people hitting deer on the roads, I'd like to keep my record of hitting zero deer for the rest of my life. Gonna need proper lights for that though...

[thumb]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts