Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I am a Focus SVT rookie and just bought the car about 3 weeks ago. I finally had a chance to wash the car and noted that my right headlamp assembly ended up getting water in it and developed condensation. [mecry]Question I have is how do you remove the lamp assembly so I can find a replacement. Do I need to take the grill out. Researched the net and could not find instructions. Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Think it's about the same as the ZX3. You could probably remove it and go around the seam with silicone caulk to reseal it....also maybe look for cracks or other openings?

You DON'T want to get into buying a replacement if you can help it....IMO.

On mine you remove the plastic plate over the radiator...remove the 4 bolts holding the grill...move it to one side. Remove bolt under the light near outside fender...remove 3 top bolts on the light...pull it out....after removing the connector. Process might be slightly different if you have HID or for the SVT. Bolts need a 10 mm socket or box end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info fred. i will be trying that today. and yeah i already bought some silicone to seal the darn thing.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Don't use silicone or caulk. It makes it extremely difficult to separate the pieces if you need to seal it again. Instead of silicone, use something closer to what the factory used which remains flexible at all temperatures. I used Mortite which is also called rope caulk. It's a compound similar to silly putty, and is available at hardware stores in the window and door insulation section where you'd get things like Kerf seals or sweeps for a door. It's useful for a ton of things, and 3M markets a version of it in black under another name that I don't know for sealing things in an automotive application. I feel sure it's the same stuff since I used it, and it has worked for the last 2 years without incident.

From Home Depot's website, search for rope caulk. Mortite doesn't work for some reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think that's what the previous owner used. it is black and looks like putty but he did not do a good job of it. it's all coming off, hence the condensation. thanks for the tip and off to the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Actually that's probably automotive window sealant- which is also acceptable if you can find the right stuff that always remains flexible. I've had issues in the past, and only trust the 3M brand which costs about $25/tube. Even so, it's not nearly as good as the stuff that Ford uses. If he had used the automotive rope caulk, then you'd be able to pull it off, roll it up, and use it again. That's the advantage of it. No matter how long you leave it on there- or even if it looks dry, simply pull it off, roll it into a ball, use that ball to roll off any excess left on the part, roll it around in your hand to mix it up, and you can use it again. You'll have to use a similar procedure to remove what's on there now before using this stuff.

The oven trick works great to help separate the parts, but if it's over 100F where you are and you park in the sun- you might not need to stick in in the oven for 10 mins. If you do stick it in the oven- keep the temp as low as possible. It only needs to bake at about 200F for 5 mins or so. Remove all the screws and metal clips before baking! Don't pry with a screwdriver or you'll warp the edges that make the seal!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these are some great tips. just a little bit of time is all that is involved and you have save me some $$$. thanks much!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts