Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how thin is the stock zetec head-gasket then the stock svt gasket and how much would it bump compression? i searched but dont find that much info.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
svt .041"
zetec .027"

It may bump you up by .2 compression pts.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes small gain in power, don't know if it'd be worth the increased chance for detonation, I'd probably get an ECU remap if I was going to go that route.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so i far can i increased the compression before i have to make ecu changes?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
None.
Compression plays a pretty big part in how the engine runs.
Not the least of which, you may have detonation problems (engine go BOOM) if it's not tuned properly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to have it tuned properly and im planing to also shaved the head by 0.10 will that make detoation and wat compression would that be with headgasket?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I don't know enough specs (combustion chamber CC, piston to deck distance, piston dish cc, etc) to calculate the compression ratio.
But...I do know one thing...
You're just asking for trouble to be running that much compression on the street, especially on pump gas.
10.2 is plenty.
Any more, and you'll need to run race gas if you want it to live.
On pump gas, you'll have to pull so much timing it'll have less power than stock.
There's just not enough power gain to be had to be worth the trouble or risk on an otherwise stock engine that's daily driven.

Talk to 1turbofocus (Tom at the Focus Power forums) about it.
I'm sure he'll say the same thing.
^^^Or search for similar threads. This has been discussed several times already.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
So, I was doing you a favor and searching for what Tom (1turbofocus) would say in this case.
What did I find out?
You already asked this question before, barely a month ago, and you basically got the same answer I just gave you. [confused]
Why did you start a new thread???
Here's your original one:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180980

And, from another thread in SVT Performance Chat titled "highest compression ratio for daily driving", here's what Tom had to say:
Anything over about 10.5 on 93 with this engine and you will be wasting your time
Tom

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I said to look at the post I had before yours.
I updated it after you posted your reply.
This is what I wanted you to see:
Anything over about 10.5 on 93 with this engine and you will be wasting your time
Tom

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok got it. the ? i was really wanted to ask about the head-gasket and milled head, was if i get the zetec head gasket is it equivalent to milling the head to .030. the reason why im getting the head-gasket is because i geting a new motor and im having the timing belt and gasket done. now the reason that i wanted to shaved the head is to take a little of the old material off the head like buildup and a little resurfacing. now tom told me not to milled the head at all but boosting compression by 2pts with the gasket want do that much of the a difference would it?
thanks btw for the info

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
getting the zetec head gaket is not like .030", its .014", you would need to shave the head another .016"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i dont want to shave off to much so you are saying that i would need to shave off .16 to make it .030 with the gasket and is that in the danger zone for the timing belt to lose slack? btw i use 93oct+octane booster about ever other week just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You're wasting your money with octane booster, just throwing that out there too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts