Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive got a question...do headers replace anything in the engine? If so, what? Also, what exactly do they help or what do they improve? Are they really worth the money or not? Just trying to get some of my long time questions answered b/c i finally got my Focus!![8D]

·
Registered
688 Posts
new headers will help with exhaust flow..but before u get a header..u should get a cat back.. and no they dont replace anything in the engine..it is an external part..not internal like a cam or piston

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
An aftermarket performance header replaces the stock exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold is the piece covered by the aluminum heat shield. Performance headers flow more unrestricted exhaust than the stock part. There are two basic designs...the shorty, wich looks similar to the stock piece, and retains the stock catalytic converter...and the race, which is a long tube header that eliminates the converter. The race comes in a 4 into 1, and 4 into 2 into 1....4/1 is known for developing more top end power. 4/2/1 is known for developing more low and mid range power. A free'r flowing exhaust frees up the engine to intake more air...thus creating power. By itself, a header will produce a small amount of power. When used in combination with a complete compliment of intake and exhaust bolt ons, the header's performance increases.

·
Registered
76 Posts
well I found out the lowest thing that is in the front of the car is the header because I hit it on one of the damn parking lot blocks, I knew I sat low but thought that tires would stop it first but was wrong

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks hot rod wagon. That helps alot. Got another question though, if i get a cat-back exhaust then is there any need to get headers? Also, what are some other good upgrades?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I dont see a reason why you would want to replace the svt's exhaust manifold, it was designed by cosworth and vortech stated it was the best design they had ever seen. And opposed to a high flow cat I personally would choose to go with an off road pipe instead.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sorry, but we don't have a exhaust manifold, we have 4-2-1 header, there is no gain, probably loss if you get aftermarket one, as far as flexpipe goes, there isn't any gains there either.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
FoRdFoCuZdRiVeR said:
get the cat back first..then get the flex..high flow cat n short headers or racing headers and flex
...this is an svt...read the SVT Performance Chat, just do a 2.5" cat-back...no reason to replace the svt exhaust manifold...if you can get away without a cat, you can grab the ORP from FC

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey dpm, I hit my header also on a really low dip in a parking lot with a huge ass drain thing. And it was loud a F***. Seems ok right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts