Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need some help on understanding the header deal. How do i know which one is right for my 2001 ZX3. I dont really understand all the 4-2-1 or 4-1 or whatever mumbo-jumbo. Are they really worth it? IF so, where is the best place to get it? Id appreciate any help.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
There are two basic choices shorty "street header" or racing header. If emissions or loudness is a concern then the shorty header may be the way to go. If emissions and loudness is of no concern and you want the greatest performance then the racing header is the way to go. The 4-2-1 and 4-1 represents the exhaust confiquration of the tubing coming off each cylinder. Four tubes into one large tube or 4 tubes into two tubes into one large tube. I'm not sure of the performance difference of the 4-2-1 over the 4-1 but I do know that either one will give you better performance gains than the shorty ( gains of course depending what other mods you have). I have the shorty header only because I didn't want the noise and worrying about being emissions legal. The racing header will also require 0-2 cheater so as not to trip the CEL. With whatever choice you make, replacing the header as part of finishing your exhaust IS worth the money. You can find headers at www.myfordperformance.com, www.newedgeperformance.com

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Another place to check pricing would be www.macnewsautomotive.com. There are many others, you can check the links section for more.

Also, you can deal with the loudness issue of the racing header by adding a resonator if you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
definitely get focus central headers, along with a hi flow catalytic and catback system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a focus Sport Ceramic header.... bolted up to an HKS cat back exhaust ..... i would recommend that to anyone

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Focusedat50 said:
Another place to check pricing would be www.macnewsautomotive.com. There are many others, you can check the links section for more.

Also, you can deal with the loudness issue of the racing header by adding a resonator if you wanted to go that route.
i just oreded my Ford Racing header, RT highflow cat, and bosal flexpipe from mcnews. they have great deal i recomend

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Danny skip all the above nonsense.

A 4 to 1 race header means that the 4 primary tubes join into 1 before the header meets the flexpipe at the flange. The 4 to 2 to 1 mean the 4 primary tubes join into 2 tubes then finally into 1 at the flange.

There is very little difference in either style for a street car.

Yes they are worthwhile, you can get them at many shops.

I recommend www.mcnewsautomotive.com

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmm.....must be an echo in here[scratch]

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
no problem, your explaination of the 4-1/4-2-1 was probably better said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
its all good exept the cat back exast
forget spending 400-500 on that
find a shop that has a mandrel pipe bender itl cost alot less

·
Registered
281 Posts
its all good exept the cat back exast
Unfortunately there aren't many shops that can mandrel bend pipes. And when they do they've been expensive in my experience. Either that or they lie to you and tell you that they can mandrel bend when in fact they can't like you're some moron who isn't gonna notice.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
....and I learn more everyday about the Focus.

Thanks to the informed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just ordered an obx racing sports header for only 155$$$. i got it off of ebay and the guy has more. they usually retail for 399$$$. it is the 4-2-1 design. im gonna get a high flow cat custom put in so that i hopefully pass emissions...which i think i will...but go on ebay soon, the guy said he has many of these headers...i will get back to you guys if the guy is a joke though...how hard is it to install these headers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts