Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to replace my headers, but I was looking under my car and seen that it runs into my catalac (spelled wrong) coverter, so will I need to replace that too or just take it off? If I. Need to replace any ideas where to get a new one at? And should I get short headers or long tube headers?

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Typically when people switch to an after market header, they eliminate the catalytic converter to gain some extra power. If you do not need a cat for emission reasons in your area, I'd say do go with out it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I really don't need the cat, that's cool, but another question, will this make my o2 sensor thow a code?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
So I'm looking to replace my headers, but I was looking under my car and seen that it runs into my catalac (spelled wrong) coverter, so will I need to replace that too or just take it off? If I. Need to replace any ideas where to get a new one at? And should I get short headers or long tube headers?
SVT header conversion. It is the only way to go. You can do an SVT cat with it, or go ORP if you don't have emission testing in your area. Shorty headers are useless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVT header conversion. It is the only way to go. You can do an SVT cat with it, or go ORP if you don't have emission testing in your area. Shorty headers are useless.
I'm new to all this so, for an svt coversion all I do is buy a svt headerr right?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
SVT header, dipstick, cat/ORP, flex pipe and power sterring line.

Look for someone in the BST section parting out their SVT or selling outright.

You'll have to have a local shop weld in an EGR bung for you as well

·
Registered
175 Posts
Disagree man sorry, i live in cali and have rough emissions shops in my neighborhood so had to go with a smog legal option. I got the jba shorty header. And after installation i noticed probably at least a 6 or 7 hp gain, and my car sounds better than over the stock shorty. So a shorty will get u a little more power and sound a little better. Although i do agree that a svt conversion will get u the most power upgrade. Just clarifying though u will get a slight power gain with a less restrictive shorty than the stock.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The svt makes more power on every level. The shorty doesn't flow much better than stock. You probably will spend the same amount of money for both.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Definitely SVT conversion. They test here in Houston,TX but they only hook up to the obd2. No visual inspection or sensor in the tailpipe so we can do orp with a cheater or tune to take care of second o2 sensor. Or you could use a high flow SVT cat instead of the orp.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
You can get a shorty header and a hi-flow cat and notice an increase in power. But if you just changed out your header and left the stock cat, you will be replacing your stock cat very shortly as the internals of the stock cat can't handle the extra exhaust being thrown down it. Besides, you changed the header not the cat or the flexpipe or the the cat back exhaust, so you're restricted in every other aspect of you exhaust. Gains will give you minimal results at best. Start saving up for the svt conversion or a quality long tube header if you don't have emission testing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts