Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So after reading until my eyes are bleeding.

My plans are to go bolt-ons on my 2001 Zetec.

So far:
Volant CAI
Header - here's where the questions arise
Catback
Tune

Now my intended use will be street use, occasional autocross use, and perhaps a trackday or 2 down the road. So midrange torque is going to better for my uses than top rpm HP.

I like what I read about the SVT header swap, but can't get excited about changing everything else to do it properly.

I really like the simplicity of buying a FS race header/Stealth catback, and tune.

Realistically is there going to be a noticeable difference in the midrange between a catless SVT swap and a catless FS header/catback bolt on?

My car is an auto, so take that into consideration if need be. I live in a non emission state, and this car will not be my DD so running catless is not a huge deal.

Any input is welcome.

thanks guys,
mark

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
there will be a difference, the 4-1 headers are race headers and will give you more power up top (in general, not always the case) where the SVT is pretty much everywhere.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Its an easy question and an easy answer

If you want a header that adds HP/TQ they go through the trouble to get a SVT header and parts

If you just want to add a header then look for the cheapest thing out there and add a header

The SVT is a little more trouble but worth the time , there is no other header that will add 12-15 HP to your engine for less then 300.00

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom,
Thank you for that input. This is what I have gathered from what I have read.

I was curious as to whether there has been a direct comparison between FS's race header and the SVT header as far as to where each provides the power gains.

I'm a Miata guy, with a 4-2-1 header on my current motor, and realize that the 4-2-1 primary arrangement is a better setup for mid-range than a 4-1 configuration.

I'm just trying to understand all of the options out there, and their benefits so I only do this once.

mark

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
The SVT header is a special material its extruded stainless and unless you hit something with it will out last the car

Hands down I would use the SVT Header if I was building a NA Focus Zetec

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom,
You have convinced me.

I have read a lot of your posts, and visited your site, and you've proven yourself as a serious knowledge database for all things Focii.

Thanks for your advice.....got any used SVT headers laying around?

mark

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I owned both the focus sport and the svt header. The svt rapes fs everywhere, all day every day. The only place fs might be able to come back would be after 7k rpm. The torque from the svt makes the car so much easier and fun to drive in the city. Oh and it pulls fantastically up top too.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
What you would probably want to look into is getting the SVT header and flex pipe at the same time. If you browse through the BST threads you will see one or two for sale all the time. Just shop around and be sure to get the best deal possible. I have had the FS header and flex before. Didn't really notice much difference in power other than the power of noise lol. The FS header removes your factory cat and the exhaust note is unbearable. I even installed a longer resonator but my exhaust note was still crap. So I got rid of the FS header and installed the SVT header. Haven't had a complaint since then. Good luck in what you choose.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Svt fwiw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts