Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Im new to cars, and i am so confused! Will someone please explain to me...or show me something that will teach me about the Whole Exhaust System. I Know headers go straight from the exhaust manifold right? then wats after that? Flexpipe...Cat-Back. Whats a Cat-back....And my brother, which knows a good amount about cars didnt even know what a flexpipe was. He just said Its headers then a catback. So i just dont know what to think. Can anyone help my confusion. I really want to learn about motors, because like ALL of you, i want to go fast.

thanks,
newb

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Headers and exhaust manifold are more or less the same thing really....just different lingo....first part of the exhaust system...goes from the block down to the catayitic converter....after the catalytic converter..comes the cat back system....now the flex pipe is just a peice of tubing that can move....to flex with the rock and movement of the engine and not breake the exhaust tubing....on my talon it was before the cat and on my SVT it's after....just kinda depends on the car....hope that helps.

·
Registered
813 Posts
They aren't really the same thing. They accomplish the same job but with two different methods.

A manifold is usually something that sacrifices exhaust gas flow for space savings. Manifolds hug the block of the motor. Manifolds take sharp turns and the primaries are what ever shape the designer felt like using.

A header sacrifices space for exhaust flow. Headers try to have soft curves and round primaries to increase exhaust gas flow.

focusedintentions said:
Headers and exhaust manifold are more or less the same thing really....just different lingo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
osiris_vdc said:
They aren't really the same thing. They accomplish the same job but with two different methods.

A manifold is usually something that sacrifices exhaust gas flow for space savings. Manifolds hug the block of the motor. Manifolds take sharp turns and the primaries are what ever shape the designer felt like using.

A header sacrifices space for exhaust flow. Headers try to have soft curves and round primaries to increase exhaust gas flow.
Good and close, but I would like to add:
A "manifold" is a pretty generic term for a USUALLY cast iron piece that bolts to the cylinder head. They OFTEN wrap close to the engine for space.
"Headers" are TYPICALLY made of "thin" tube material to increase flow out of the cylander head. They CAN be more difficult to route and require more space in the engine compartment.
Way too many variables here to make any all-inclusive statements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts