Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the easy decision of wrapping my header. I was looking at two options, a DEI Kit with the wrap/ties/and High Temp. Silicone coating. or some Thermo Tec Clamp on heat shields. The latter is a little bit more expensive, but "looks" like a somewhat better system

DEI Kit

Thermo tec.

Has anyone here used the silicone coating on a header wrap before?

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
hmmm didnt even know it existed honestly, i just used header wrap from autozone 50 bucks for 50 feet i think....and 8 stainless steel hose clamps...one up top and one down bottom...

that thermo tech is interesting, i prolly wouldnt put in on a header tho, wrapping just looks BA...how much does that thermo tech cost, cause ud prolly need at least 8 of them for any of the aftermarket headers' available

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
that silicone looks like something i should perhaps invest in, but does that just get sprayed over the heat wrap?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, it protects it from water/dirt. Dirt being more of a problem than water here. The thermo-tec's go for around 20 bucks for a foot, 30 for 2 feet. And are 6 in wide. So it may take 3-4.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went to eBay for my 2''X50' wrap, 10 12'' stainless steel ties, and black DEI spray. Cost me about $40 total, but well worth it and no issues.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
i never wraped mine i love the look of the bronze/blue pipeing

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I would definityly get the wrapp and the spray. I've had my header wrapped for a little over two years and did'nt spray it with the silicone spray stuff and they are now rotting off. ITs fine has long has you don't touch it. If you touch it then it just crumples into fine fine dust like particles. Really sucks when I work around it I got to wait for the air to clear or risk lung damage. So I say spray and wrap. the other stuff does'nt look too goo to me IMO. I mean it looks good but it would'nt be a tight wrapp all the way around the header keeping the heat in. I will say when I first did it my underhood temps were way way down. After driving the car and even running around in it hard you could put your hand on my valve cover (intake side of course) and leave it there thats how much cooler it was. I need to redo since its falling off now but it was one of the best mods I've done. And if I get a SVT thats what I'm going to do with its header.

Oh yeah and I had some left over and wrapped my CAI too since the piping would get hot fromt he underhood temps too. It looked really good like I was turbo'd or something I don't know it just looked good to me and keeps high under hood temps at bay.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I think I have some pics of my F2 header with DEI exhaust wrap and coat. I'll try to find them right now.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Depends on which header you are wrapping when you determine how much you need. I only used half of a two inch wide roll on my F2. (25 ft i think it was) Because the primaries meet so soon. Whereas on the Cosworth kinda design it will take more as the primaries are kept much farther apart all the way down.

And yeah the silicon spray acts as a protectant from moisture and dirt. It also helps just hold the exhaust wrap together so it doesn't come loose and eventually fall off. Kinda a glue of sorts that keeps it all tight.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
I would definityly get the wrapp and the spray. I've had my header wrapped for a little over two years and did'nt spray it with the silicone spray stuff and they are now rotting off. ITs fine has long has you don't touch it. If you touch it then it just crumples into fine fine dust like particles. Really sucks when I work around it I got to wait for the air to clear or risk lung damage. So I say spray and wrap. the other stuff does'nt look too goo to me IMO. I mean it looks good but it would'nt be a tight wrapp all the way around the header keeping the heat in. I will say when I first did it my underhood temps were way way down. After driving the car and even running around in it hard you could put your hand on my valve cover (intake side of course) and leave it there thats how much cooler it was. I need to redo since its falling off now but it was one of the best mods I've done. And if I get a SVT thats what I'm going to do with its header.

Oh yeah and I had some left over and wrapped my CAI too since the piping would get hot fromt he underhood temps too. It looked really good like I was turbo'd or something I don't know it just looked good to me and keeps high under hood temps at bay.
You mean like this?:

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Jesus Jetrinka, did you do that as a pre-school mother's day project? [hihi] j/k that looks nice, I just wish I could fin mine[mecry]

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
there you go.... I found it, it was on my other computaaaa!

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
First I wanted to use the black paint, but a friend of mine has it on his bike and it looks like if was burnt lol. The secret to do well and tight wraping is soaking the exhaust tape with water. Not many dare to do that, but it is what pofessionals do. I spend like 4 hours waraping the dang thing but I'm happy with the results[8D]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yeah I soaked the wrap as well while I did it. I just couldn't seem to get the wrap far enough down on the primaries. Well maybe someday I will take it off and do it again. Still have half a roll left. lol

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Don't use header wrap unless you are having a serious issue with heat-soak or you're melting things under your hood. The wrap tends to keep to much heat inside the manifold and will crack it. That is why many, if not, all exhaust manifold manufacture says warranty void if heat coating or heat wrap is used.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
^^^^ this is true some what....I do have to agree w/ him in some cases. I read a thing on here a while ago about header wrap and most of the pros, wont use it just for that reason. It was a good artical IDK if any one remebers it but it was verry informative that's why I never wraped mine. One reason is that heatsoak in the focus is minumal to none, ya it get's hot under the hood but not nearly enough to do any damage to your HP. It's like bigfoot, every one knows it's there but they just cant prove it. Plus I like to show it off as well ahen people look under the hood. Although I'm still not positive a I got the rite 02 sensor in....lol. In our case I don't think the manifold will crack we don't get that hot but it's still not a nessesary step to "pervent" heat-soak

1 - 20 of 64 Posts