Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it true that a header wrap will decrease the life of the header?? I wanna do it to help w/ heatsoak!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
decrease?? if it would protect it from rust, it would increase header life, not decrease!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my thoughts are that the extra heat kept in the headers will wear away the headers as they cannot dissipate heat quick enough!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
imho its not worth it i have seen what the header looks like after while. just like you said it holds on the "sweat" from the header

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really goin for looks but performance, so I really don't care too much!! just don't want its "functionality" to go down

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
wrapping the header will def benefit if you wrap it right. It will keep and make the heat go where it's suppose to... out the back. A header as you know produces a better scavagging effect anyway so you are already flowing exhaust much better. So it does benefit. And having it wrapped will keep temps down def. If you have a race header it will keep the oil temps down. I'm going to wrap my hfc in a couple days myself... that will keep the oil temps down too and look better. it will also protect it mroe cuz the cat is just open to the elements wide open under the oil pan.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If you have a cheaply made header (really thin e-bay kind) you MAY see a decrease in header life span... personally I've been using header wrap for 20 years and I've never had any issues.

Tom has the downpipe on his SVO Mustang wrapped... he did it when he bought the car new in the mid 80's... same wrap, same pipe.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the focussport 4-1 race header, I don't think it is too cheap!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone have any good places to get the wrap or a good one in general??

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Any descent parts store should carry it. I usually order mine from Jegs but I like the kind that has the copper powder in it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
prolly, but then again, any header w/o a cat is illegal!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
why copper? Cause it improves heat resistance up to 30% more over normal Wraps and it withstand up to 2000 degree.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
the only thing I can think of a header wrap will probably damage is the "shine" finish, probably after some years of use... other than that all the other things it does are good things!

*yes its an OBX header, people say they are cheap, but most of them havent even seen one! My bro didnt dyno this, but it sure feel a lot better, revs super fast, and def has more torque and power! To my surprise the header had a perfect finish, coating and welds. If you ask me, not a bad $130ish investment!

I got all the wrap parts at autozone

painted

*sounds like crap because it has no cat ----stock mid pipe and muffler ---- replaced lunch box with a small fart can

1 - 19 of 19 Posts