1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did not know that...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I disagree! We have done this for years and NEVER had a problem. I see the point of the article but totally disagree with that. Believe what you want, we have always done this on the cars we build and have never had a single one have a problem. Contrary to what that article says, it doesnt "hold" heat in, it allows the heat to escape out of the header. This guy sounds like he had a cheap set of headers that were damaged by a bad wrap. The header wrap needs to be done correctly to work properly. Believe what you want, i have never seen a set of headers damaged by wrap. And i have been around alot of race engines. Another example of dont always believe what you read on the web.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I agree with b16sir1991 I have had my header on my car for over a year no problems when I first put it on under hood temps were down so much that I was actully able to hold my hand on my vavle cover after running the car, even dogging on it, and after long highway crusies. I'm glad I did it too since getting a cramic coated header and getting one coated are too espensive for me but $25 dollar header wrap worked great.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason why i posted it is because he said something about almost everyone in nascar used it and it didn't work. if there's substantial proof to contradict otherwise, go with what works.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
He said that NASCAR drivers used it because it helped power gains, but then quit using it because their headers were disintegrated. Well, there is a reason for that. NASCARs are pushing 6000+ RPMs for a constant period of time. So there is a constant 1300 degrees moving through the headers. Where as, on the street, unless you are pushing 6000+ RPMs all the time, header wrap will not damage the header because you don't have as much heat for a long period. The sole purpose of the wrap is speed up the extraction of the hot exhaust gasses, which helps the motor breath even better.

I have used it on my SVT header for almost 10,000 miles and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've wrapped headers and pipes for years, if you have CHEAP METAL in your pipes then yes it could rust. Most of the time when you actually get that type of rust is due to the wrap being installed wrong... which means LOOSE.

If you wrap your header and get it tight then you should have little or no problem at all. My downpipe is wrapped and has been for over 10K really hard miles with no adverse effects what so ever.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^LOL^^ , probably.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good point with the 6000+ rpms. my point wasn't to say that the wrap is bad, i was just doing some homework on it. would it be ok to put it on surrounding lines like ac lines, fuel lines etc? any negative effects?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Wrapping for heat protection is a good idea on just about anything under the hood. The wrap that is on the market is good for any exhaust application. Dont believe everything you read on the web. This wrap works VERY well in everything we have ever done with it

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
By the way, how are ya Richard?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great mike, did you get my pm??? the s/c is great. i'm emailing wayne to get a revised tune because this one doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
hmm, yes, NASCAR, very high RPM, all the time. For that matter they are constantly rebuilding the engines too, but he didn't mention that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts