Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried it??

I plan on getting a resonator, but I like to think that I'll have the balls necessary to drive around without it after I get a header put on, to see if I like the noise...

I've heard that "before and after" video clip, but videos are so deceiving when it comes to sound level, so it sounds roughly the same both times, volume-wise

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wickedgreyzx3 said:
IT is gonna be loud as hell, just like everyone on focal jet told you
Yeah, they (3 people) told me that, but there are people on here have said that there was no (real) difference between "resonated" and "not", so I just want some further opinion from the forum I'm on most of the time, as I'm not over there, usually

IF that's okay with YOU (not like I really care though)...[thumb]

This is not to be rude or anything like that, it's just that when people say, "loud as hell," that tells me nothing at all. When my dad rides in the car with me he tells me that my bass is "loud as hell," when my subwoofer is just getting started. When I ride in my best friend's car, he plays the music so loud, I can feel my ear drums telling me to get the hell out, NOW.

What exactly does "loud as hell" mean??

Like I said a couple lines up, any thoughts/opinions on this? For people who are gonna help me, that is...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
mmmm.how about aheader with a straight pipe? Is that what you're talking about? If so it will be quite loud....but powerful.....but LOUD Man!!! But if you have the 2.3 it won't sound like bumble bees in a can of tuna. Ant thats really all that matters.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, not straiht pipe. The one magnaflow in the stock location isn't going anywhere. I'm speaking of adding another, smaller magnaflow in that straight section right after the 2nd cat.

I'm also keeping the 2nd cat, which is why it may not be that bad, I dunno. I just dont wanna spend $90 on a muffler and install, that's not gonna help very much.

By all means though, PLEASE keep the thoughts/opinions going, it's helping, I promise...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I dunno man! I had a "glasspack" put on behind my magnaflow and it certainly dulled the sound down but I don't think it did anything to rob HP...or maybe it did??? I dunno. Anyways my car as is--is only loud if I step on it otherwise it sounds real calm...but it is loud when I punch it! Sounds like a V8! I may have to get another glass pack though when I get the header on 'pending the loudness!

Anybody know if a glasspack cuts down on HP???

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno, if you had it put in backwards, with the air going over the little "bumps" it shouldn't, but I've been wanting to know the same.

If not, that would be a lot of money saved over a magnaflow muffler...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Personaly, I want nothing to give away the fact that my sleeper Focus isn't stock. Therefore, I will be going with the "stealth" Focus Sport system in the near future.

Also, I have never heard a "loud" four banger that didn't sound just plain silly, even the so-called "good sounding" ones.

I say leave the loud Focus exhausts for the high school parking lots where they are admired and appreciated. Grown ups just shake their heads and roll their eyes at them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I felt what you mean about the sleeper look, which is why I have no tip on my exhaust, just crappy aluminized pipe. But people look at my car and see that the 4x4 look of stock is history, and then hear my exhaust, and know something is up.

It doesn't help with the Rotas (what can I say, I got the deal of a lifetime, and my second set of P6's were going bald.)

So the sleeper thing is kinda slipping away from me, but it doesn't matter, 'cause I live in southern California, and all the Honda drivers around here think that the focus is the slowest car around compared to theirs (that's why when I sit at a light next to one, they wait until I shift into second, then floor it while they're still in first, right?? hahaha)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
smokethebear_280 said:
Has anyone tried it??

I plan on getting a resonator, but I like to think that I'll have the balls necessary to drive around without it after I get a header put on, to see if I like the noise...
i have a zetec, but i was running a race header with a magnaflow too, with no resonator. it got to be annoying loud really fast, couldn't really have a conversation with somebody if the revs were over 2K, made it hard to listen to the radio, plus i got pulled over once for my loud exhaust.

the resonator really helps tone it down, it's at much more acceptable level. still can get loud, but not unless i step on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts