Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy either a header or tune... and i would like to hear some feedback from people who have done it either way... Which should come first???..ever since my intake and 2.5 exhaust my gas milage has been destroyed.. how much worse would it get with a header??

thanks guys[woot]

Mason

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
put those two together! well a tune would help your gas mileage if you want it tuned that way. Performance and gas mpg do not go hand in hand.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do with your car, like stated above and depending on how heavy your right foot is, your MPG will most likely go down. I would say if your looking for MPG then it's prolly best not to mod your car and leave it stock. If MPG's aren't that big of a deal then I would say do what I did and go header, then tune later. MPG will depend on the driver/year of car/ and mods (among others) but typically the more you mod your car the worse MPG get not do to the mods but to the way you drive your car (at least in my experience).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, but the more power you have, the more you want to use it.
Typically the first few tanks will have worse economy after a mod, then it returns to about normal.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
in any case, your mpg shouldn't be hurting too badly from an intake and exhaust. many people even gain a little.

anyways, i'd go with the header first for the simple fact that if you get a tune now, and header later, it'd be best to have the tune updated for the header. so go header, again, it shouldn't hurt your mpg too much especially if you've already lost a decent amount, and get the tune when you can. you can then get a tune that is programmed with the header, and if you wanted have it setup for a little better mpg and a little less performance.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i would say get the tuner first, as you can disable the rear o2, and never have to worry about the CEL when you finally install the header.

·
1,999 Posts
wouldnt the header help the engine breath-increasing mileage also???
Again I would say it depends on the driver/year of car, The reason most people mod (and I did say MOST people not ALL) is to increase there performance which in turn makes the car go faster, with that said, MOST people use that speed for driveability purposes and it makes you car fun to drive because your "fast" now therefore using more gas. And again I would repeat my self from my first post, this is just my experience. And honhon has a good point, although I got mine at the same time I would have to concur w/ him. It does make sense if you're going to get both just to go w/ the tuner first. Just make sure that you tell your tune guy what header you get b/c it will matter.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
^^^Guy, nice to see ya back on here! Where ya been?

And on topic, I would do the header first and then the tune. Thats just me. Didn't hurt my gas mileage at all. Although I tend to be a pretty conservative driver as well. (unless I am behind Guy, the 07 Ninja... Then I can be kinda wild... lol)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry i havent been in but my internet was down..

im going to go with a header... and jet in another thread you spoke about the different headers giving different tq... i am almost 75% im buying the Obx because it cheap and not sold out!

last question.. has anyone tried mec cel fix on an ST with obx?? did it work??

Thanks

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
^^^Guy, nice to see ya back on here! Where ya been?

And on topic, I would do the header first and then the tune. Thats just me. Didn't hurt my gas mileage at all. Although I tend to be a pretty conservative driver as well. (unless I am behind Guy, the 07 Ninja... Then I can be kinda wild... lol)
I agree with Justin, go for the header because you can do the mechanical fix to prevent the CEL and then go for the tune.

Guy's been practicing his Ninja skills at remaining invisible. LOL. Nice to see ya again, Guy.

·
1,999 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been bussy w/ stuff and good to here from you all too. I got a queston for this subject too. Does the CEL fix just that or does it help you to pass emitions as well? I know, I know it all depends on how your stse does emitions but say your state checks your computer to see if there are any codes. Does the CEL fix just turn off the light or does it acculally "fix" the problem? And Carl, my ninja skills have been refined to perfection, I no longer need pratice just a pair of nun-chucks and a few ninja stars.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts

im going to go with a header... and jet in another thread you spoke about the different headers giving different tq... i am almost 75% im buying the Obx because it cheap and not sold out!

Thanks
Its a tough one to explain sometimes. The design of the header really comes into play with the location of peak torque and the torque line as a whole. It is a double edged sword though as the intake side of the motor plays a big part in this role as well. But for the sake of argument lets say everything is equal except for the header used. A header with smaller diamter primaries will likely create its peak torque at a lower RPM than the header with the larger primaries and vice versa. Its all about how much breathing the motor can do. So with a large primary header you might feel a bit of that lower end umph is gone but it will really pull in the higher RPM once that extra primary space is utilized.

Most people that swap their stocker manifold for say the OBX might say "oh I felt a little loss in the lower end but boy it sure pulls above 3000 now." This is one example. It moved that torque line farther up into the RPM range so you feel that umph at a higher RPM.

The differences between the F2 and the OBX though are probably neglegable. I have the F2 and create as much peak torque as guys with similar mods with the OBX or Focussport headers. I have found that on our cars its only when you start messin with the intake side as much as the exhaust side that the torque line actually flattens out. Take Warneej for example. Pretty much the only major difference in power adder mods between our cars (i don't believe he has cams... they aren't listed anyway) is that he has the Cossie intake manifold and has his car dyno tuned for it. Our cars create roughly the same peak torque but his torque line is much flatter than mine. He starts out with that torque and maintains it throughout the RPM range while mine rises and then falls again. This allows for a much more powerful, better breathing motor throughout the RPM range.

Wheeww that was a bit more than I wanted to type or than you wanted to read but I hope it makes a bit of sense. I am not sure if it did myself....

·
1,999 Posts

Thanks
I don't think the CEL fix will work with only one bung (pertaining to the OBX).....come to think of it I don't think it will work with two bungs I think you'd need three bungs for the "fix" to work...and even then it's not a 100% that it will work for you. I think if you get a header you should just save and get a tune as well just so your doing it right, not saying the CEL fix is wrong but, the tune is guaranteed to work, and if it's wrong you could' call your tuner and they will fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts