Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,I put the header on the 02 atx Focus this weekend.
I love the sound and don't mind it being loud at higher rpms,but would like to quiet it down when pulling out at traffic lights and such.
I am emission exempt,but still don't want a cop behind Me while I try pulling out from a stop.
What can I do to quiet this down at lower,cruising speeds?
Will a resonator Help?
It currently has:
4-2-1 race header,2 1/4 flex,2 1/4 custom exhaust with single small bullet style muffler.
Heres a video:
http://youtu.be/cL9ENdPUQ2o
Right before my kid says "Oh My God" You can hear it getting very loud at the low RPM's.
When I get on it,that's fine...Love the scream at higher RPM's.
Yesterday was an exercise in futility trying to drive to work and keep it quiet....I couldn't get above 1200 RPM's!
Help appreciated-D

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A resonator or a glass pack might help that a bit. Since you're only running a small muffler and the car you are used to hearing came with Catalytic converters, a resonator and a large muffler.

The Stealth exhaust from FSWerks is nice, but you already have a custom catback.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A resonator or a glass pack might help that a bit. Since you're only running a small muffler and the car you are used to hearing came with Catalytic converters, a resonator and a large muffler.

The Stealth exhaust from FSWerks is nice, but you already have a custom catback.
You think that will eliminate the loudness at low speeds?
I am not opposed to changing the Muffler,would a Flowmaster 40 series deepen it up a bit as well?
Not sure if its the resonator or muffler thats going to fix it....

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would have a size-able resonator welded in; a good sized one will kill a decent amount of noise and raspyness. I had one added to my exhaust for $80 installed.

It made the sound bearable.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have a size-able resonator welded in; a good sized one will kill a decent amount of noise and raspyness. I had one added to my exhaust for $80 installed.

It made the sound bearable.
Do you have video available showing inside and outside views?
Would Help alot-Thanks-D

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A resonator and a Flowmaster would make a big difference. It is never going to be quiet with headers on it, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sorry but first gear in an auto is always going to be loud because the rpms are higher a muffler might help but itl still be loud. we have the same exhausts on our jeep cherokees the 91 is stick and the 98 is auto and the 98 is way louder then the 91

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Double post gahhh

Matt

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
A resonator and a Flowmaster would make a big difference. It is never going to be quiet with headers on it, though.
Of course you can make any car quiet with any mods done to it. Have you seen suburban mufflers? 12" tall and 36" long? I bet his car would be as quiet as stock. Its all in the muffler setup.

I had the same problem, and I chose the magnaflow 18" 2.5" resonator (straight through) and a magnaflow muffler. Its quiet down low, and screams up top. No drone on the freeway, its good controlled sound. The resonator is 60 bucks on ebay new.

You could also get a high flow cat installed, if you like. By "bullet" muffler do you mean a fart can? If so, that's really a glorified 10" resonator. You really need a physical muffler to quiet it down.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Well it takes the raspyness and loudness down, also depends of what length resonator you get too. I'm going to go with the longest one in stainless steel so it will still match my exhaust and to make it the quietest it can be. You'll still hear it when I get on it, just not when I'm driving around town. Also make sure you get the right one for your car. The link I posted is for zetec but there are also duratec parts there too.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it takes the raspyness and loudness down, also depends of what length resonator you get too. I'm going to go with the longest one in stainless steel so it will still match my exhaust and to make it the quietest it can be. You'll still hear it when I get on it, just not when I'm driving around town. Also make sure you get the right one for your car. The link I posted is for zetec but there are also duratec parts there too.
Yeah,this one is for the zetec.
I have the F2 header ready to go for the ST and honestly wont mind that one being loud as its my Sunny/Sunday Car.
But for my daily driver....Man its bad.
I seriously cant take it above 1200 RPM's without it becoming noticeable.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course you can make any car quiet with any mods done to it. Have you seen suburban mufflers? 12" tall and 36" long? I bet his car would be as quiet as stock. Its all in the muffler setup.

I had the same problem, and I chose the magnaflow 18" 2.5" resonator (straight through) and a magnaflow muffler. Its quiet down low, and screams up top. No drone on the freeway, its good controlled sound. The resonator is 60 bucks on ebay new.

You could also get a high flow cat installed, if you like. By "bullet" muffler do you mean a fart can? If so, that's really a glorified 10" resonator. You really need a physical muffler to quiet it down.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
Matt,any video of your set up?
Would really like to hear this one.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts