Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know i put my header on about 3 weeks ago, and ive noticed it started to sound funny latley. So i had my friend look at it and he said its not sealed right around the one chamber. So we tighted the bolts up a lil tighter and it helped it some, but he said im gonna prob have to get a new gasket. I dont want to have to take off the header again and put a new gasket it on, becuase its a pain in the ass, if you have done it before you know what i mean.
If i leave it go how it is, i know im losing a lil hp, but will it hurt anything in the long run. And is there shortcut around this?

[?|]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the pace setter shorty header. Its a nice header, i mean it looks good, and it gave me a good bit of hp. Its just not sealed right. Should i try to tighted the bolts a lil more? Im afraid of stripping it though, and its rly gonna b hard to take it off again and everything.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Not much choice, if you had installed it correctly this would not be an issue.

You shouldn't overtighten the bolts, they should be tightened in sequence and then torqued but I am guessing you didn't do that?

No way to fix without removing and replacing the gasket. I am guessing you used the original?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt use a torque wrench, i just tightend them till they were tight. No i got a new gasket with the header. I still have the old metal one in a box. The new one was made out of rubber. Its just on the 3rd chamber that its not tight. Its a small leak, but its noticeable. Where could i get another gasket. But what if it dont seal right again? I mean i put it on right and stuff. Its just a bitch trying to get a aftermarket header to seal it seems.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I have installed many without problem.

I think your rubber gasket is at fault. I have never seen a rubber exhaust gasket!

Get a new metal one from ford.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think MAC offers a good gasket for $20. Are you sure its a rubber gasket?? I've never seen a rubber exhaust gasket. Anyhow, dont double them up.. get a high quality gasket in there and forget about it. Dont over tighten the bolts either. Aluminum heads dont take well to over tightening bolts.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
You should get a new gasket, lemme repeat this since you don't seem to be listening, get a new gasket and replace the rubber POS you used in the first place.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys dont laugh, but my friend was telling me about this stuff its like silicone. It fixes exhaust leaks. Like you put it around where it is leaking and it seals it up. I know where it is leaking at, so i mean i could put it there, but i was just wandering if stuff even works. What ya guys think it worth a shot? I know i know i should put a new gasket on but i ahve no time with school and all, and im tight for money to go have someone do it. It takes at least 4-6 hours to do it, and not to mention a pain in the ass, and risk of stripping something.

·
Registered
515 Posts
[?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|]

You have been told the correct way to fix this at least four times already in this thread.

You continue to take shortcuts (using SILICONE to fix an exhaust leak, etc) and you will end up right where you are right now. You NEVER use silicone to fix an exhaust leak. Silicone does not hold up to extreme temperatures, I don't care what your friend says. It's also possible that by not torquing the bolts on the header in the right pattern, that you have bent the flange on the header, in which case it won't ever seal right. I would first start out with the correct gasket from Ford, and then go from there.

Just do what focaltech says please, and next time don't take shortcuts.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
silicone on an exhaust leak?!!? haha you can barely use that on most vaccum leaks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No its not silicone, it works like it i said. Its made for high heat, it comes out in a liquid form, and turns into a metal/hard plastic texture. It seals up and leaks. I know silicone wouldnt stay lol der. Its called High Heat Exhaust Leak Sealer. Ive seen it at auto zone/advanced auto.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It almost sounds like he is talking about JB Weld. Good God man... don't do it!!!

Listen to these people, buy or rent a torque wrench, and a new QUALITY gasket and put it on CORRECTLY!!!
[?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|]

·
Registered
793 Posts
OK since you cant seem to listen to anyone else heres what you two things you can do:

#1. GET A FORD RACING HEADER OR EDELBROCK HEADER WITH A HIGH QUALITY METAL GASKET AND HAVE IT PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED. THROW AWAY THE POS PACESETTER HEADER WHICH PROBABLY DOESNT FIT BECAUSE ITS DEFORMED FROM LOW QUALITY PRODUCTION.

#2 SELL YOUR CAR, INVEST IN A BUS PASS AND AVOID ALL CAREERS WHICH INVOLVE ANY TYPE OF MECHANICAL WORK. WHATEVER YOU DO DONT GET NEAR ANYMORE MOTORS OR SOMETHING COULD BLOW UP, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING A MOPED.....BUSS PASS ONLY!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ight, ok im gonna try to find a good metal gasket, damn pace setter gave me a rubber/plastic type thingy. Uh someone else on the fourms told me that i do not have to take my cat and header the whole way off to put a new gasket on. THat i should be able to take off the bolts and pull the header back enough to put a new one in. Im gonna try to do it this weekend if i still have my car. THE DAMN HURRICANE IS GONNA HIT ME IN PA!!!!! and i got no garage, so im gonna get a car cover i need one anyways

1 - 17 of 17 Posts