Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure most of u have all heard my car with the header if not look up my video i posted. but i cant stand the sound and either can my pasengers (u know all the hot chicks[;)]) so i need to quiet it down im things a new muffler or a glasspack. but im not to worried about what it sounds like on the outside just the inside so i waas thinking what if i dynomat the inside of the caar from the hatch up to the back of the front seats? wil taht help and also what if i put the dynomat under the car like on top of the heat shield wil it melt? and if not will it healp quiet down teh cabin? what do u think (for those that dont know drnomat is used for speaker systems to reduce vibrations and keep the sound in the area)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
dynomat works well, the stuff from homedepot works just as well only a lot cheaper.
it will get rid of a lot of the noise.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ok, I'm just thinking here....but if you add a whole bunch of weight to your car, would that not cancel out the performance of your new header? Also I don't think you're going to want to put the deadning stuff anywhere it might get hot.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
You'll probably have to do both. I theorized that street header cars would need mufflers or resonators in nearly every available inch of exhaust tubing. Those with more performance parts like cams will need it even more so.

A good glass pack will make the sound deeper, but without a standard baffle muffler in the system you're going to experience that popping sound sometimes. There's not really a lot of difference in the technology, what you want is a large case with an equal or greater size inside. There's a company called Pro-Flow or Pro-Flo (memory is bad) that makes all sizes of glass packs. Or you can check out Summit or Jegs. I think the largest Summit sells is a 4" round case made by Flowtech.

For a baffle style muffler... there really isn't a lot out there that fits in the stock location. Magnaflow makes a 3 chamber muffler that will fit in the Focus, Summit sells them, but it's difficult to find because the only way to get the physical dimensions of the mufflers is to look at each muffler's specs through a link. I don't think I was able to find it through their search either.

If you don't have any cats at all now, then you probably need another glasspack behind the muffler. This will do the same thing as a resonated tip, but costs MUCH less. There should be enough room to install a short one just in front of the tip.

I'm sure you can figure something out [thumb]

·
2,272 Posts
I have a high-flow cat, magnaflow resonator and magnaflow muffler on my exhaust. I will tell you how it sounds with the header when I get the car running tomarrow (hopefully). I will probably have a sound clip too. When I had the car idleing for about 10 seconds it was kind of loud but probably only a little bit louder than when I had a flexback exhaust with only the muffler.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Its the lack of cats, or the high flow ones that make it loud and raspy, and drone on the interior.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Actually, what would really tone the car done is a very long resonator. You need to get the largest one that you can fir in the exhaust tunnel in the center of the car.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm simply reccomending the biggest one you can fit under the car that is of good quality.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you are going to fool around with the exhaust you really should step it up to 2.5

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes, 2.25 is absolutely too small once you have a header.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
focus sport stealth muffler i think its 2.5 or close to it, the rest of the tubing is like 2.25. i know because ive instaled the same muffler to 2 diff cars, and trust me it makes a hell of a diff. i had a muffler shop install it for me for $40.00 and the muffler was $110.00 or so.

i only have the FS muffler and a 6in round resonator/muffler magnaflow. and im loving it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts