Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an obx 4-2-1 race header. The problem was the last person to work on the car either cross threaded the egr or put lock tite on it cause it would not come off for anything. So we decided to just cut it. would it be ok to just plug the egr port in the headers for about a week or two?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you can bolt down a plate to cover it, no problem. With no gasses flowing, you may set a check engine light, but seems like that is not an issue. Just block the EGR into the intake too.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You didnt cut the EGR you just cut the line going to the EGR right?

I thought the EGR and the line connecting it to the header was 2 different pieces?

Dont they have plugs you could put into the EGR bung?

What do those run? if the EGR is one unit what do they run?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cut the egr pipe right before the nipple that goes into the header. i read you can burn valves and valve seals wothout the egr is this true?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My ZETEC has the EGR turned off with Toms tune.
From what I read the EGR is pretty much not needed.
My Car runs so much better with the tune.
You will throw CEL codes.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
no, you won't need, them, if thats your only mod, i'd leave em. and unless i'm not thinking right, your temps will be colder. the egr spits in extra heated exhuast into the intake. so you should be fine.)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
no, you won't need, them, if thats your only mod, i'd leave em. and unless i'm not thinking right, your temps will be colder. the egr spits in extra heated exhuast into the intake. so you should be fine.)
Agreed....Save your money and get it tuned as well.
Makes that header all worth while.....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Actually,while Im thinking about this,your Car will run like crap with the EGR leaking....
But I ran my ZX3 (not knowing) with a bad leak right at the EGR valve for 2 years and it was fine.
Going to run like crap though.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well im not leaving it open im plugging the egr tube and the egr port in the header. i dont plan on leaving it off im only doing it until i get a new egr pipe. the ford dealer said 142.98 for a new one which is unbeleivable for a 2 foot long copper pipe. anyone have an extra layin around or know where i can get a cheaper one?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
well im not leaving it open im plugging the egr tube and the egr port in the header. i dont plan on leaving it off im only doing it until i get a new egr pipe. the ford dealer said 142.98 for a new one which is unbeleivable for a 2 foot long copper pipe. anyone have an extra layin around or know where i can get a cheaper one?
Ebay, there is a bunch of them on there. Some look ok some look pretty bad but since you only need the tube those all look good on e-bay.

I think they were around $40. with the EGR valve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts