Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone install a header themselves? how difficult or easy was it? i got a 2006 zx3 SE. Also... exactly what engine do i have? i cant find jack. im guessing its the duratec. but what size also..2.3 or 2.0. Any suggestions on what header to get.... THANX

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
A duratec header will fit either motor, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The only headers still actively made are the OBX and the FSwerks. Either will work for your car but the OBX has smaller primary pipes by 1/8 inch. Your car has the 2.0 Duratec. The OBX is a quality piece and is better matched for the 2.0 because of the smaller primaries.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the obx and it was easy to install.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
OBX here, took me 2 hours to install. been on the car for 3 years (wow lol) and no issues

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
There is that weapon R header, that no one has ever done, that I know of... Wonder what it performs like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i mean the price is right for the OBX. so everything went smoothly for everyone bolted on nice and easy? and what was done for check engine light? anyone trick the system or is it on all the time?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I have an FSwerks header but i've installed an OBX before on a friends car and everything went nice and smooth. No issues whatsoever.

The CEL can be turned off with a tune which you will want to do after the header.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
it's not a bad install if you know what you're doin. will need to remove the O2 sensors so make sure you have the socket for that. I believe the bolts on the head are 15mm and will be handy to have a racheting wrench as well as deep socket and multiple extensions. easiest way to do it is to remove everything off the factory header first (heat shield and brackets) before trying to remove it from the bay (makes for a smaller piece to remove). will need to jack the car up to get to some of it underneath so be careful with that and make sure the car is secure. It will throw a CEL code (O2 sensor after cat), not sure if the mil eliminator harness will work on these otherwise will need a tune to get rid of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just installed an OBX on mine last week and it went very smoothly...I still have a CEL but I just ordered my xcal from tom so that should solve that issue. A tune isn't necessary but it will get rid of the CEL and from what I've heard it will get you the most out of your bolt on mods and is well worth the money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome! thanx for all the info! yeah Tools is no issue for me. i got so many we have a second 2 car garage just to keep all the machinery in haha. what u guys spend about on a tune? and i got a automatic.... (got it with 30,000 miles for $6,000 couldn't pass up that price!!!) so are there any big differences?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I spent $420 with shipping on the tune. Sounds like alot but it's well worth it. The obx comes with 2 flex pipes. One is for an auto and one is for a manual tranny.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think ill get one of the OBX headers here in a few weeks. Are there any sound clips of the sound when you remove the manicat and bolt it directly to the stock exhaust?

Im curious how loud it is. Ill probobly have to drive mine around with just the header and stock exhaust for about 3-4 weeks till i can put the rest on.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've seen some obx and idk but I'd much rather trust Fswerks.
the bigger primaries don't hurt anything mine are 1 7/8 and my 2.0 is good.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I've seen some obx and idk but I'd much rather trust Fswerks.
the bigger primaries don't hurt anything mine are 1 7/8 and my 2.0 is good.
The OBX is half the price. 225. + 30. shipping vs. the FSwerks at 380. + the 90. flex pipe and then $42. shipping that just over $500. for just the header!

The OBX may not be as big but just getting rid of the cat. is going to make all the difference. $255. shipped puts it in my budget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah the FS werks is a bit much. the obx has been around for a long time and is a well known brand. the reason there's is less expensive is because they mass produce that stuff.

·
Registered
920 Posts
yeah the FS werks is a bit much. the obx has been around for a long time and is a well known brand. the reason there's is less expensive is because they mass produce that stuff.
It's less expensive because it's mass produced with inferior and thinner metals in china... But, they aren't bad for a few years :) may rot after that tho.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts