Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUCCESS !!!!

I started at around 3PM and was finished at about 5:45... It required removing lots and lots of bolts but was ok because I used airtools. Let's see.... I initially tried removing the header and heat shield all at once but didn't work so I got the head shield off then the header and all was well.

One problem I ran into though was a few of the header bolts were stuck and the WHOLE stud came off the head and I thought I had broken it but it just unthreaded so I had to un thread the bolt off of the stud and then screw the stud back into the head.

Another thing that was a pain in my you know what was I spent 50 bucks getting an O2 extention and one, I didn't even need the extention, two, I wasn't even shipped the right one... it would't fit on either one of the two O2's... but got lucky since it reached and still has some play... Cosworth will be hearing it from me on Monday.

Another thing that I should put on my post is I think some of you guys who say it is too loud have sensitive ears... What I think you guys are doing is installing all these resonators and mufflers before you actually hear what it sounds like without all that junk... I have a COMPLETE strait through exhaust from Focussport... the sport system which only has a itsy bitsy resonator and it isn't much louder until about 5000 RPM's then it screams pretty loud... The thing that makes me weary is that it kinda sounds KINDA funny... but I expected worse which makes me happy. I will be buying the sport resonator from Focussport within the next couple days.

Anyways, overall on a scale from 1-10 I would rate the over all install a 5-6.... And the only reason really it would be that high in my book is because of all the bolts and such on the stock header/manifold.

Also I have a clip for those of you who don't really know what a 2.3 duratec sounds like with a Cosworth header on [:D] Unfortunately, out of all I did today... I forgot to hit the record button on the video camera so I will have a clip for you guys tomorrow for sure.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And something I forgot to tell you was about the power gain... it was unbelieveable how much there is in the low end... for those of you who say the Cosworth header's primaries are too big and are going to lose power on the low end don't know what you are tlaking about.

I tested it today rigth after the install by going down a dead street... taking off slowly and after the clutch was completely out gunned it and man-o-man was it like vroooooooooooom....lol

The power gains was well worth it all....

And Dan I think you will like your car with your header on there... it won't be too loud... especially with your 25"+ resonator.... [:D]

·
Registered
649 Posts
neat, will look forward to hearin that clip

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, later tonight I finally got to get some video but only on my phone so here it is.... is is pretty loud and it sounds kinda raw and raspy but whatever I will be quieting it down somewhat.

http://media.putfile.com/newheader

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I still don't know why they put the header in back of the engine bay . . .

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
kinda sounds like a civic now though. I want to hear what it sounds like through your normal video camera, not just the camera phone though.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
video doesnt work for me, but thats probably because quicktime is screwed on my computer

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wish you would have taken pictures. This will be my next upgrade. I will be doing intake and headers. Cant wait to hear clip! How much longer would it take w/o air tools u think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
U have an Exhaust too right??? I would like to hear someones car with the header and a stock exhaust. I have no intentions of changing my exhaust because I don't want my car redicuously loud.

That's too Hondaish for me. I will do a header but with stock exhaust at the most.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
05STEEDAST said:
U have an Exhaust too right??? I would like to hear someones car with the header and a stock exhaust. I have no intentions of changing my exhaust because I don't want my car redicuously loud.

That's too Hondaish for me. I will do a header but with stock exhaust at the most.
ok people who told me that I would be choking my car with the Focussport exhaust were wrong but I can prolly tell you that with your stock exhaust you will be choking that thing.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cajun Boy876 said:
I wish you would have taken pictures. This will be my next upgrade. I will be doing intake and headers. Cant wait to hear clip! How much longer would it take w/o air tools u think?
Well considering that there was so many bolts in some odd places that I removed with some pretty odd airtools, it would most likely take you about an hour and a half longer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yes try to get a new video with a real camera

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I am trying to upload a damn video on putfile.com but it is taking forever... it's only a 35 second video. [rolleyes]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dunno why this thing is a pain in the ya know what... but here it is... it was taking a while to load for me when I wanted to watch it but lets see if this works.

http://media.putfile.com/New-Header

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so have you removed both cats?

dude it looks like you have something in your tire

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there is something in my tire... I know... I will get that fixed tomorrow.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And yes I have no CATS and all I have for quieters is a strait through resonator and a strait through muffler.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
05STEEDAST said:

Dude, DON'T install a header before the the exhaust. It will sound Incredibally raspy and buzzy. I have heard a four banger Spec V who did header before exhaust and it sounded HORRIBLE. It sounded much better after the exhaust.

Matt, doesn't sound that bad by the way. DOes it drone pretty bad on the freeway though?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I just saw this! Sorry it took me so long to respond matt...I like what you have done! I think you will be happy overall but you'll be way stoked when you get that exhaust fixed up just right. You have renewed my desire to install this header. Want to help me do it? Where's wally?

Power gains...I wanna know more about power gains! How's the upper register???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts