Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had today all to myself and tried to install my race header. I got the heat shield off and it was a pain in the ass. I got the top four header bolts off without too much trouble so I lifted the car to work on the bottom three. All I had was wrenches and sockets so I failed because I didn't have the right tools to get those bolts. I could reach them with a wrench but couldn't get enough leverage to bust those bolts. I also have no idea how to get the oxygen sensors out of the header. I have spent too much money to pay somebody to install this for me, so I may just sell the header and give up. Its not worth any more money just to make my exhaust illegal and gain a few hp. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i really cant help you there but thats one reason why im thinking about leaving mine stock cause i know ill have a hell of a time doing this stuff and i hate paying people to do work on my car i just hate it. but hell you already have the peice may as well just keep trying find someone with a few more tools and some swival renches / sockets and you should be able to get them i looked at mine the other day and it doesent look all that hard but im sure it is.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The O2 sensors are easy once the exhaust manifold is out of the car. Just disconnect them from the main engine harness for now, and tackle them later.

As for the bottom bolts, yea, they are PITA. IIRC, I used a regular wrench on them because I may not have been able to get a socket on them. Before you try again, spray them all down with WD-40 or PB Blaster, and let them soak for a while.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Egz said:
Before you try again, spray them all down with WD-40 or PB Blaster, and let them soak for a while.
The first thing I did before removing my exhaust manifold was soak all the bolts in WD-40 for about an hour. Then, go to Advance and replace all the nuts with stainless steel nuts. This will help you down the road.

·
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok first thing tomarrow morning I'm going to pee, eat breakfast, and install that header (three priorities). And let me tell you I am not going to get out from under my car until those bolts are off! I bought some more tools to help me out. You don't have to wish me luck or anything because tomarrow I will not fail!

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
hope everything goes well with that and nice attatude lol

·
Registered
930 Posts
You can get a socket specifically for o2 sensors too...makes it a lot easier..but i wouldnt bother until it is out of the car.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
SD_Focus said:
ok first thing tomarrow morning I'm going to pee, eat breakfast, and install that header (three priorities). And let me tell you I am not going to get out from under my car until those bolts are off! I bought some more tools to help me out. You don't have to wish me luck or anything because tomarrow I will not fail!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I wish I lived close enough to help you out...I love helping people work on thier cars! I like getting all dirty, greasy, and just plain nasty. Then afterwards when you hands are all dirty and hurting, you know that your one step closer to getting your car where you want it to be. w00t! [woot]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If it helps any... All of the header bolts are accessible from above the engine bay....

you just need the right assortment of sockets and extensions, and a large breaker bar.

If you can't get the sensors to budge once you remove the header from the car...

The O2 sensors can be removed by tapping them with a large, blunt (but flat), metal object and a large hammer. Position it against a face of the nut and strike it with force... It's difficult to explain... hopefully you get the picture.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I couldn't get the heat sheild off without removing the 2nd o2 sensor first, so that "wait til you get the manifold out" stuff didn't really work for me. The other two sensors, I could leave in there, and take out when everything was removed from the engine...

Lamar

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Yes, ^^^ Wd-40 is actually for dispalcing water, it works well as a lube. However, there are several things on the market JUST for getting into threads so you can get things off. PB blaster, liguid wrench, kroil are just a few. Hit it tonight with it and then again in the AM. It should help.. You will get it done, because you were smart enough to stop and go get the right tools.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
dazada said:
I wish I lived close enough to help you out...I love helping people work on thier cars! I like getting all dirty, greasy, and just plain nasty. Then afterwards when you hands are all dirty and hurting, ...
wow buddy that sounded way too gay LMAO j/k

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
oh i'm playing..

I'd SUPER suggest that you spend the $10 and get the header bolt upgrade from massive speed system

·
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok second attempt failed. its just one bolt now that I can not get. Now I have plenty of cuts and sore muscles. I used pb blaster and I was able to get two of the bolts I had trouble with yesterday. I have been able to loosen all bolts required for the installation except for 1 damn bolt. I spent a couple of hours trying to find ways to fit sockets in there and all I could do was get a wrench on it. I tried to muscle it off but there is just not enough leverage. Its the bolt closest to the passenger side on the bottom. If I could just get that bolt loose, I would be able to do the rest of the install with no problems. I'm a bit frustrated because I have spent money on jack stands, tools, high-flow cat, resonator and of course the header. This is costing me way too much.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts