Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to let my 2.3 breath as much as possible but..
Is it really worth the hassle i will get from the Local Police.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are you going to be sending them a letter informing them about your cat-less header? lol

Don't drive like an ass and they never bother you. I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Are you going to be sending them a letter informing them about your cat-less header? lol

Yup he said it all. And if you do end up next to a cop then just accelerate extremely slow. Just drive smart and they wont think anything is up.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Here where I'm from they couldn't care less about noise from cars. Everybody has big v8 trucks with insanely loud dual exhaust setups lol.
But like focusboy said, but accelerate slowly and you shouldn't get any trouble. They can't pull you over for no reason.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You might want to look into a coated header given the weather and roads up there. There are other northerners here that could tell you if its really needed. Every 3 years we get a flurry and it hasn't actually stuck on the ground here for.... 16 years? Go for it, and just don't drive like you want to be pulled over.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
you may have trouble passing inspection but i'm sure you can find a way around it

·
Registered
798 Posts

Well, being from Mass, I know that if they think you have an exhaust that is too loud then they will pull you over and make you get a inspection. I remember they pulled that crap on me with my mustang. I didn't do anything wrong... they told me my exhaust was louder than it should be and I was required to get an inspection.

Also, If you are from Masachusetts, driving like an ass comes naturally. Sorry, just can't help it. I guess if you put alot of effort into it, then you can drive sort of normal. Until that A-hole cuts in front of you on I-495 w/o any blinker when you are about one car length away from the next guy in front of you.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Well, being from Mass, I know that if they think you have an exhaust that is too loud then they will pull you over and make you get a inspection. I remember they pulled that crap on me with my mustang. I didn't do anything wrong... they told me my exhaust was louder than it should be and I was required to get an inspection.
isnt that Rhode Island? i know if you get pulled over with anything they think is aftermarket they can make you go get an inspection....
ive been pulled over once with a loud exhaust, and all i got was a ticket for "loud exhaust" $100, that was simply because the cop was just pickin people off coming from a car show, right before me he had someone else pulled over

and that was before i had my header....since then im now running a header, and am catless and have not been touched, but like said i dont drive like an ass either, ive had cops right in front of me, right behind me, and they didnt seem bothered...
but it also depends in the cops in your area, i know if i go like 3 towns over i would probably get pulled over cause the cops over there have nothing better to do....

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
^^so are you suggesting for him to move? lol

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i live in mass, and would NOT rec. it. its why i dont have one...
yes, they can pull you over if they think its too loud, and make you get an inspection right there, or have it towed if they think it is in violation. very annoying. they will also ticket you for it.

as far as inspection, forget it. i was declined an inspection just b/c of my borla. they said it was aftermarket (they looked under the car, and in the hood), and that is an auto-fail. told me to put everything back to stock, then i could pass. and that was the FRPP piece, so it was still from Ford. still didnt matter.

thats just for that; forget a header with no CAT...those are HUGE fines, up to 10k in MA. i checked into all this, and have relatives in the Staties/Local law enforcement. didnt help me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
YAY Communism. Next all cars in Mass must be governed at 65mph. EPIC FAIL. I had no idea. Just FYI there are no inspections whatsoever in Alabama, and plenty of people run headers with straight pipes everyday.
What did you do after that Nem?

·
Registered
798 Posts
YAY Communism. Next all cars in Mass must be governed at 65mph. EPIC FAIL. I had no idea. Just FYI there are no inspections whatsoever in Alabama, and plenty of people run headers with straight pipes everyday.
What did you do after that Nem?
Wouldn't doubt if that bill is being passed as we speak. I think the camera's at the stoplight's are next. Massachusetts tries to be like California too much and it irritates the crap out of me. There's a reason I don't want to live in Cali and thats it.

Good thing my turbo dampens the sound enough to where it acts like the primary cat would with sound dampening.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i got a document from the dealer saying they installed it, and it was a factory piece. brought it back there. wasnt enough. they wanted something from the damn registry. so, i drove around to a bunch of places, til i found one guy (shady guy, didnt speak much english) who let me pass it.

and yes, in MA, everything is connected. the registration is now attached to your inspection. u fail that, u lose ur reg if u dont get it done in the alotted time frame. thats when, when you get pulled over, you are walking home, and you get cited for operating an uninsured/unregistered vehicle. my cousins tell me they are working on attaching your reg to your license too, where you would have your license attached to your primary reg...the way that works is, when you go get your car insured, you have to be licensed as well...so they would assign your license to the car's reg, for monitoring. it helps the insurance companies too. sucks for us.

they did pass a law too, outlawing ANY changes to exhaust. not just for sound, but anything aftermarket period. MA gys, google it. i cant remember the name of the act, but its out there. lots of shops around me are now refusing to do that type of work, and its putting some exhaust shops out of business. its like with CARB approvals, or DOT stuff...any new exhaust will have to be govt approved in order for them to do it. as i said, its why i am not doing a header, and therefor, no cams. ive seen people catch the fines when i worked in automotive. one guy got the full 10k fine, but was able to plead it down to 1800. F-that!

oh, and i was actually lucky in my case...when i said declined, i meant that....they wouldnt even test me. just said i would fail. so, that was good b/c they didnt put that in the computer. had that happened, once they input my license plate at another place, i would have been flagged. never would have passed, ANYWHERE. like i said, stay away from headers. at least in MA.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Note to self. Stay away from MA.
I almost had an hour layover for a connecting flight in Boston and now I'm glad I paid for the direct flight. Keep my tax money away from those guys. Who knows? I may have bought a burger or something and funded as much as $2 worth of car hating cops and laws. I'd never forgive myself.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
haha, yeah but just remember that not every cop is out there to get you for that type of thing. sometimes it just happens. people still mod their cars. just a matter of what risks you take.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts