Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anybody please tell me what “head” I should use for the engine that I'm building. What I am going for is about 270-280 at the wheels, using a ‘Powerworks Supercharger’ (w/big boost), good rods, pistons, stock crank (but balanced), and a good cam setup. Is the stock Z-tec head the best or the Ford racing head?
Thanks.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
well neither the stock head nor the FR head are "the best" however the FR one is considerable better.

·
FF Affiliate
30,926 Posts
You shouldnt need to use anything but a stock head to reach that goal with the pw

In most cases a Ported head and Performance Cams will hurt your HP with a SC

Tom

·
Registered
862 Posts
We tuned a BB PW kit it made 267 on a conservative tune with the FR head and our turbo grind cams. The FR head is the best head available but Toms touch makes it even better.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sum up

thanks everybody for the info. Am I only to conclude that using the stock head is the best way? Could any machining be done to improve it? Is there another aftermarket head that will work best? I was told that the FR Head flows the best, but it higher compression...which is bad for a blown motor.

My other question is the block. Is using the SVT block any better than a Z-tec block?

·
FF Affiliate
30,926 Posts
The FR head does NOT have higher compression unless you surface it , Higher compression for a SC engine is NOT a bad idea either

No not realy use what ever block you have

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts