Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in building a better breathing head for my svt. I was wondering if anyone can give me somewhere to start. Im quite confident i can perform the work on my own however im not to sure where i could get a head besides local junkyards. Also has anyone gone down this path, P&P, stiffer valve springs, maybe oversize valves, possibly milling the head to raise compression.. any input will be greatly appreciated. My end goal is to add nitrous to the picture .

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
not to knock ur abilities but that is a very difficult and tedious job. i don't know what ur experience is but u might wanna look into the FRPP head. there are also people selling used p&p heads out there.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
a used svt head is going to run you around 650 dollars i wouldnt suggest porting it yourself if you hit a water jacket your out 650.00 i would take it to a shop were they can do it for about 200 dollars. i dont know if there is upgradable valvetrain for this head. The frpp head is for the normal zx3 the svt head outflows it stock so please do not waste 1100 dollars. Theres only 1 place i know of that sells a svt head and its 2200 dollars unless your willing to wait on c-f-m. I would just go to a machine shop and have them pp the head and do a mill on it woulodnt take it past 11:1 comp with nitrous to be safe esp if this is a daily driver.

also on the svt you will fork out about 600 dollars for cams over seas I beleive kat cams is the only company to make cams for the svt. the cams in the svt i beleive are in the 400`s on lift. i would personally just do intake, 2.5 in exhaust, rt highflow cat or off road pipe ( the svt has a stock header and is better than any aftermarket header). 65mm tb, tune and nitrous i wouldnt wory about porting the head.

exhaust- borla 2.5

intake- hypnotic sri hypoillauto.com

throttle body- c-f-m.com

offroad pipe- c-f-m.com

rt high flow cat- mcnewsautomotive.com or hypoillauto.com

tune- xcal 2 from wayne- hypoillauto.com

nitrous- c-f-m.com you will also need a window switch, 2 step colder plugs, purge, aem eugo, nitrous and fuel pressure gauge and a fuel rail tap.

this will run you anywere from 2817- 3017 plus dyno time which is around 80-100 an hour.

got anymore questions pm me.

also heres a place to get a svt head if you still want to go that route. svtsalvage.com i bought my svt shortblock through them great people. or focussalvage.com i have heard nothing but great things through them.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
In my opinion after Dynoing my ported head and another Co. ported head there realy isnt enough to gain worth the cost of doing it , the SVT head flows very well as it is and only cleaning up the Exh side gave the same results as a fully ported head

You can get a head to flow super high numbers but if you install an intake and an Exh system as well as cams that cannot allow the head to do it best then your wasting your time and money

I have a very nice ported SVT head but when people call i try to talk them out of it unless there doing FI or willing to go above 93 Octane , 3 Inch Exh , 70MM TB ,large cams
Etc.

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Yes the ZX3 HG will take you to close to 11.6 to 11.8 this will need better than 93 fuel tho IF you dont use better fuel the gain in HP/compression will be taken out by how much timing needs to be taken out for the engine to not deto

Tom

·
Registered
467 Posts
not to hyjack this thread but Tom are there cams worth installing in a svt focus? I already have a head that I was going to get ported and polished but I wanted to install cams when I installed the head? like you said no point in doing it if you don't alow the air through the head, also what about porting a svt intake I also have one of those I was going to experiment with?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i was talking with a dude from ebay about parts for the svt focus. he's got a built racing head for hte svt for $900. if interested i'll have to email him and i'll give you his ebay member id.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Yes the ZX3 HG will take you to close to 11.6 to 11.8 this will need better than 93 fuel tho IF you dont use better fuel the gain in HP/compression will be taken out by how much timing needs to be taken out for the engine to not deto

Tom
Probably best just to do a slight mill on the head then I take it? I would think that 10.9 or 11.0 would be a good sweet spot no?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Yes but wouldnt be a healthy engine on 93 , I would rais the compression above 10.2 and think im going to make power on 93 with higher compression comes having to lower the timing , timing = HP

Tom

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Higher compression + colder timing does not = more HP? I figured the higher comp with colder timing would be better than lower compression and hot timing. Is this incorrect with the Focus?

·
Registered
19 Posts
are the kent cams a good buy

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
cams in any car is nice but i bet the lift and duration are out of this world on those cams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
so if i was to put a zx3 hg on my svt it would up the compression right? well if thats right what all would i have to do to make the car run to its full potential or would it run good just like that and if i didnt like for any reason is there any way to drop the compression back to stock and would this be worth it cuz it sounds like something i would like to do but im not sure just yet. need more info can anybody help? thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts