Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
shut up the only head work ive goten so far was under my drive SHAFT belt hahaha hahaha good girl. you know your not going to buy a focus. you are a honda guy i can tell and so can the rest of us.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like i said I will working for Ford parts dept in a few weeks. I have owned 3 civics a 02 Mustang GT and currently a ZX2 (wifes car). I have always liked Ford over any other domestic car company cuz they are always technologically ahead of their domestic competition. Focus mike why are you making jokes? I am serious. I am not here to waist my time or to pick fights. So like I said does anyone have any head work done? I ve read that some of the camshafts only give you 10 or 15 HP but seriuolsy f/up your idle. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
793 Posts
i do not have any head work on mine,, but i have heard that most aftermarket cams can have a bad affect on the idle for example in the FF magazine in turbo tom's article i read that he kept the stock cams because the others only made like 12-15 but f-up the idle!!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
mike no personal attacks just askin for help....

the more aggressive the cam the more "lopey" your idle gets. also with cams its not so much the peak power but where the power is made. as far as headwork on a focus only a couple peeps on here have it done. one guy had a cnc milled and ported head with a few bolt ons made between 140-150whp run a search for his name in member bmonn igger take out the space between the two words tho if i combined the words it would edit them out, think about it for a sec and u'll see why

stage 1 cams = Forced Induction

stage 2 cams = decent n/a build no major head work

stage 3 cams = extreme n/a build, real aggressive, higher reving, and will mess with idle dramatically.

how fast do u wanna get? and whats ur budget? once u reach a certain point u will need tranny and fuel management

·
Registered
793 Posts
the man with knowledge^^^

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't have any headwork yet, but I'm in the process of saving up some cash for a Ford Racing ported head, which I'll get Milled to raise the compression up. I'll also be getting stage 3 camshafts. I was going to get higher compression pistons and new rods, ect but decided to just get a ported head and have it milled. I'm doing that cuz I'm going the all motor route. As my name and sig says lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No budget limit (it may just take a few years). I want to run 13's, no BS. I am not just talking about I/H/E and a chip. I am serious about my performance. bored and stroked 11+ compression ratio and customized managemt. The article in the Import Racer has me thinking about going NA. Outside of clutch and flywheel what other tranny parts should I expect? Oh and is the Ford Racing Intake manifold worth anything?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well with anything much higher than 11.0:1 cr u will need better fuel than u can most likely get to run it safely. if u want 13s id suggest a built bottom end and a turbo from www.focus-power.com and some tranny work.

to run a 13 na u would need the FR head, stage 3 cams, full IHE, bigger injectors, engine management, tranny work ie. gears, lsd, clutch, flywheel, the fr intake mani would need to be fab'd as a bolt on w/ 70 mm t/b and u could get close. but the turbo would be easier.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think the Ford racing Intake mani would be worth it. Also, becareful of how high you go up on compression. Defintly don't go up to 12:1 compression ratio. The highest I'd go is around 11.5:1. There's a guy on FJ who has 11.15:1 compression ratio, that's with a .050 milled head.

·
Registered
732 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
to run a 13 na u would need the FR head, stage 3 cams, full IHE, bigger injectors, engine management, tranny work ie. gears, lsd, clutch, flywheel, the fr intake mani would need to be fab'd as a bolt on w/ 70 mm t/b and u could get close. but the turbo would be easier.
Euro, wasn't you who told me that a engine managment system would be pointless for N/A? I think it was, not sure. But you or whoever said that it be pointless, cuz I mentioned in a thread I made about getting one for the project.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
The FR head will be a necessity NA. Expensive, but necessary to get to the 13's. The stock platistic manifolds, even the ported early 00 design will not give you the performance you need above 6500....The FR head will....but the best design is a short runner from Focus Central.....for all out

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC said:
Euro, wasn't you who told me that a engine managment system would be pointless for N/A? I think it was, not sure. But you or whoever said that it be pointless, cuz I mentioned in a thread I made about getting one for the project.
standalone would be pointless is what i meant. by engine management in this case i meant a simple MIC (maf, injectors, chip) he needs to upgrade his fuel system and raise his idle and rev limiter and whatnot somehow. standalone can do all that, and too much more, a bit of over kill

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone keeps day FR (thats Ford Racing right?) so I think I am going to enjoy buying all of their products at huge disounts when I work there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes FR means Ford Racing.

FC= Focus Central
FS= Focus Sport
ATX= automatic
MTX= manual
TB= throttle body
I think theres some more but I forget.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
ok fine no personal attacks just one more question, if you claim to have a "turbo civic" why would you start a project all over again. a turbo civic is gonna smoke a focus if its in stock form. im sure you droped big bux down to mod your so called turbo civic to get it to "keep up with gt's at a rolling start." why don't you just keep moding you civic if i had a civic and i had all that done i wouldn't trade it for a focus. thats my .02 cents playa thats all i got to say. im done now : )

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A zetec has much more potential than my sohc and there are already too many civics around and a focus would be different.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts