Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I glued two neodymium magnets inside the frame of the double-DIN kit when I installed the stereo, then bought a second install kit and cut it up...covered it in ABS plastic and installed two more magnets in the same places. Even though the head unit sticks out a little, this has just enough depth to cover it. It's a little rough but it's not bad for 100% Dremel work. And yeah...you can tell something might be under there...but the bad guys wont know for sure...and wont know what it is.

Cut the new install kit in half (bottom) and attach the frame to the ABS sheet with screws (top):

Cut the assembly out of the sheet of ABS, trim and glue in magnets:

Depth. I used a sharpie to darken the rough edges of the ABS that I ground down with the Dremmel. A belt sander would have come in handy here.

Installed. Note that camera flash always exaggerates black colors.

Covered the door panels in Dynamat Extreme...now I can hardly hear cars passing beside me while driving. Doing it this way doesn't dampen the speaker vibrations, but the sound "sloppiness" that normally reverberates in the door and comes through the door panels is nearly eliminated and you don't have to worry about water getting trapped in the metal of the doorframe and causing rust problems for those of you who live in an area that actually, unlike my area, receive rain.

And don't ask what's under there...no sense in covering it up and then advertising it on the internet.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
hhaha...funny i was gonna ask..[hihi]

neat idea, easy security cover..nice [thumb]

·
Registered
97 Posts
i know a guy over on another forum who ripped the face plate off the stock radio in his jetta and used it as a cover, much like this. good job though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts