Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im looking into alot of different head units... now im not sure what i want to get because i want it to be compatible with my steering wheel controls... (have the controls right under the steering wheel on the left side) I do want a new head unit to get the maximum out of my speakers. Any suggestions on what i should get? I want it to look cool also.... that would be a plus. Right now i have an 06' zx5 with the 6 disk changer.... Any suggestions on a good head unit? Id prefer something that cannot come out of its socket place because i dont want it to be able to be stolen without having the whole unit ripped out. Alot of the ones i see you can just pull the face plate off.

also, when i bring the head unit to best buy to have them install it, will they give me a open space to store stuff since this HU will be alot smaller then the stock one?

·
Registered
316 Posts
A few more details would be helpful.

Price range?

do you plan on adding subs, or amping your mids?

The new pioneers are great, specifically the 980BT, 880prs, and the 780mp.

The eclipse cd5000 and cd7000 are the only eclipse i would consider out of this model years line up (only ones still made by eclipse)..

Those were the 5 decks i considered and my main concerns were preout voltage, time alignment, steering wheel controls and sirius/ changer controls. I went with a pioneer 780mp. The mp3 list feature on the new pioneers is simply the best ive seen.. It slaughters the eclipse mp3, (or cd text) navigation.

Any of the decks ive listed will allow you to keep your steering wheel controls, but you will have to buy the PAC for it (its like $50 and pretty easy to install).

I ended up getting a 780mp, 12 disk changer, sirius tuner, the PAC, the extra harness to keep the factory sub, and the install kit for like $560 shipped.

Oh and all the pioneers have a detachable face... im pretty sure both those eclipse are detachable face as well.. (buut i could be wrong)...

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
There are some really sweet double-din Kenwood radios that look more like a stock radio but have some awesome features. Here is a link:

Kenwood Double-DIN

I really like the DPX-701. If I didn't want a screen this would be the one I'd get right now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Price range? I guess somewhere under $250... $300 would be pushing it. And i do plan on adding subs in the future with an amp... but nothing crazy... just a 10" sub ... 12" at the max.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im probably just going to buy one from Best Buy and have them install it right there on the spot.

·
Registered
316 Posts
$250-300 wont get you mch at a best buy..

Find the deck you want online, and take it to a small local shop to have it installed...

you will get a much nicer deck for your funds... plus most installers at best buy suck ;(

Use an established local shop...most times the people actually know a little bit about car audio...at best buy your more likely to just get some highschool dorks who really know nothing.

Or install it yourself... installing a deck is VERY simple...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im pulling some strings at the moment and im going to try and get an expensive best buy deck (the 300-400 dollar price ranged ones) for cheap... gotta see what i can do though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts