Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was wrong, they're virtually identical. The only difference is they lowered the gain of the amplifier on the newer '16, which does help minimize shocking me half to death when the thing looses it's mind. (I removed the metal shield on the older '13 unit.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ford lost a lot of experienced engineers when they offloaded their electronics division, purchasing became their focus (as they no longer manufactured electronics) and the cost cutting began, unfortunately quality comes at a price!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This only has a single tuner and only 4 channel, it is likely the smaller pin count version of the DSP is used in these! the boards look a bit discolored around the power amp IC at the back, I would not rule these amps out as a suspect!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This only has a single tuner and only 4 channel, it is likely the smaller pin count version of the DSP is used in these! the boards look a bit discolored around the power amp IC at the back, I would not rule these amps out as a suspect!
Do you think a malfunctioning amp would cause the weird control issues? Like, I try to turn OFF the radio when it's acting up, but the radio says "NO! YOU CANNOT TURN ME OFF - MY JOB IS TO ANNOY YOU!" Many functions cause a reaction from the radio display, but they don't work as designated. "I try to think, but nuttin' happens" as Curly Howard would say.

Assuming the amp can be replaced, are they digitally keyed to the unit or can they just be dropped in?

Also, it's so annoying that the car is still bound to my phone with bluetooth even after the ACM unit is removed from the car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The amplifier does have diagnostic data fed to the micro via I2C bus, a fault in the amp or speaker outputs should be detected by the main micro, difficult to say what would happen if this data is corrupted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
the power amplifier IC is not coded in any way, data sent from the power amp to the micro is for fault conditions and clip detecting (volume is reduced if clipping is detected). under a fault condition (defective power amp) it is difficult to say what the micro would do, potentially it could keep the micro from sleeping, I have see instances on a BMW where the radio was sending noise down the K BUS and was causing random things to happen (windows/roof would open, seats would move on their own..and drain the battery)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish I could determine if the amplifiers were bad or not. I suppose I could just buy both and replace them, but I don't know which P/N I should look for. There are similar amps, but I don't know if they'd work or not.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts