Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Another Head (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im graduating in a month and i am getting an ass load of graduation money so I am looking at parts to buy. First off I am getting wheels and tires. Now I have a Focaltech Port and Polished head sitting in my basement. So I got curious at what my other options were. I was thinking of getting the Head package from Focus Sport, (Cosworth head, Kent Cams and Kent Cam gears). I also took a look at Toms head from Focus Power, and the Ford Racing head. I am more inclined to go with the Focus Sport package because it seems like it is the best deal ($1200 plus $300 rebate when you send in your old head). But What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
the FS package is a good deal and it makes great power... ive heard good things bout the FR head when mcnews gets to play with it and the focus power head is top notch as well.. its a matter of what u wanna do and how much u wanna spend i guess.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ford Racing is the best!....if you already got mone dont waste your money getting another one you wont see any huge increase of power

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so with the Ford racing head what kind of power increase would I see from the Ford Racing head?

·
Banned
23 Posts
It depends on what your eventual goals are i'd say.

I don't think any of those heads are comparable really. The Ford Head has oversized valves, and upgraded springs and retainers, as a result of the valves it flows better. I'd say its better for higher RPM naturally aspirated setups.

The FocusSport Cosworth head uses stock valves, stock retainers and springs... so they're probably great for mild cams with a forced air setup. Otherwise, any aggressive cam, and you'll need to upgrade the springs and retainers.

I just wish someone had a SVT solution already (CFM is close, right?)

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would keep the one you have and drop some nice cams in it with springs and retainers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The FR head is worth 18hp according to dyno figures posted recently. The other heads may be just as good, but you do get stronger valve springs and bigger valves. Also it is a brand new head, not a reworked one. You will need the better springs if you go beyond most stage 2 cams or want to rev past 7000rpm. I installed my FR head a couple of months ago and it really woke up the engine to the FR3 cams I already had.

·
Registered
743 Posts
yes you do, all you need to do is ask tom to put them in for you..lol

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i am going for a naturally aspirated setup for autocross. So I guess I would want the Ford Racing head right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
SonicBlu04SVT said:

I don't think any of those heads are comparable really. The Ford Head has oversized valves, and upgraded springs and retainers, as a result of the valves it flows better. I'd say its better for higher RPM naturally aspirated setups.

The FocusSport Cosworth head uses stock valves, stock retainers and springs... so they're probably great for mild cams with a forced air setup. Otherwise, any aggressive cam, and you'll need to upgrade the springs and retainers.
To me this sounds backwards. N/A you want more velocity. The smaller valves in the Cosworth head are better suited for a N/A buildup. With boost you want more air flow. So in that case the FR head would do you good with the oversized valves. The increased size of the values of the FR head will actually decrease air velocity and cause the motor to have bad torque in the lower rev range on a N/A buildup. I guess I shouldn't say "bad" torque per say. It just wont be as good as an head with smaller valves. N/A cams are all about over lap of the valves. This is designed to pull air into the head. They use a physics trick to accelerate air into the combustion chamber. I really think you should recosider what you've written.

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so I want torque down low which means smaller valves and the cosworth head is the better option. Hrmm this seems like a complicated issue.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just buy my Jackson racing supercharger and be done with it!!

[:D] [8D]

·
Registered
755 Posts
The best way to go about it is to call and ask engine builders. They will tell you what you need to know. I have heard that STeeda has a 200 horse Zetec. Im not sugesting to go to that extreme, but there head is a lot cheaper than the rest (last time i checked) Since you already have a head, I would suggest just keeping it. THen build onto it what you want, High rev horse power, Low end torque, Or a nice balance between the 2.

·
Registered
958 Posts
from what ive heard/read, toms head is really meant for FI, so unless u plan on going that route then stay away...and if u insist on buying a new head then personally i would go w the frpp head since its new AND it has oversized valves AND it comes w upgraded springs/retainers...imo, stick w the one u have and just get cams/cam gears from mcnews...its something like $500 and u get cams u want and a set of esslinger cam gears...maybe mill the block to up c/r and put in some new springs/retainers and ur set!

·
Registered
14 Posts
the FR head is probably what they use on the rally car. if ford developed it for one of their own cars my guess is that they know what the heck they are talking about. they will also have the most experience with your vehicle seeing as how they made it. go with ford. you bought the ford for a reason, and the company knows whats up with your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
true. look at the boss 302. the valves were HUGE for that motor so it had to rev high to make power like the old z28. look at the specs and look at the velocity. thats what you want. big valves usually equal low velocity which is bad for NA. do a little homework. call the manufacturer. and if you can find a good performance shop and ask them. good advice from people that do it for a living. they will help you out especially if you tell them you will have the work done at their shop. just make sure you focus isnt the first one that they have worked on.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
Iggmasta said:
Well i am going for a naturally aspirated setup for autocross. So I guess I would want the Ford Racing head right?
Wouldn't the ford racing cyl. head put you into E-prepared , there're some fast cars in that class!??

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The big advantage on the FR head is its a new casting, whereas everyone else reworks a used stock head.

I know Tom has said if you're sticking with N/A the FR head is the best, as his is designed for FI applications (big difference in flow characteristics between the engine breathing on its own and having 9+ PSI of boost on tap when the valve opens.)

IMO, if you're not going to get a FR head you should just stick with the P&P head you already have. I seriously doubt the FocusSport head would be any better, if you see any gains at all over the Focaltech P&P they would be very minimal.

Oh, and the valves on the FR head are only 1mm larger. Its not a drastic change, like 2.5-5mm larger. With the correct cams the FR head makes very good overall power...Ray from McNews was just saying that Crower or Cat stage 2 cams in combination with the FR head makes for a very even powerband.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts