Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ZTS and my passenger head light keeps going out. I have replaced four times in the last 3 months. The plug is looking like its getting hot. Has anyone had this problem? If so what is causing it, and how do you repair it. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the plug "looking like its getting hot" (is it melting, or turning brownish from heat?), but an issue I have had with some bulbs in the past, mostly halogen bulbs, is that if you touch them with your bare fingers, the oil from your skin gets on the bulb, heating it up, and it pops after a short while. I have even seen some bulbs that have an icon on the back of the package saying don't touch the bulb with bare hands.

Again, not sure if there is another issue going on there, but if you are replacing the bulb constantly anyway, you could see if you put the bulb in using a paper towel over your hands, or wearing some sort of gloves to shield the bulb from skin oils, it may help.

Aside from that, I will defer the question to someone more knowledgeable with the 01 and electrical issues.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
check the appropriate fuses, and check that they havent been replaced with higher ones.

But its probably the way you are handling the bulb on installation. Be very careful that nothing touches the bulb when you put it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No.. I know enough to not touch the bulbs with my bare hand! The socket that the light is plugs into is turning a little brown. And doesn't the same fuse control both lights or do the have seperate fuses only having problems with one bulb. I have had the car for five years and this just started. could it be a short in the wire somewhere? How do I get a replacement light socket? Thanks for the replys.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Separate fuses.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What wattage bulbs are you using? Might be using to hot of a bulb pulling to much current slowly burning the socket up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you were involved in a front end accident and had work done they might've replaced those wires with aftermarket ones, my sedan has this same problem with the driver's side and i noticed the 3 wires that run to the back of the bulb socket are cheapy replacements

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always use stock replacement bulbs. I have not had any front damage. and there is not any moister in the housing. and I dont think the fuses have been replaced. I have had this car for over five years and it has just started this. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts