Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone live in plymouth or know anyone here who can do my head for me only blowing 90 out of each its an 03 focus st170

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If referring to compression those are not low numbers like they would be on other engines. SVT engines read artificially low because of the VCT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't no mate it's wat I got told took it for compression test n he said heads gone and something about its jetting under spark plugs and Yh was on about compression have you any suggestions on wat I should do next

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Well, typing more coherently comes to mind...................you haven't even clearly established what is wrong yet.

Can't fix what's not known to be broken.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The compression test was done incorrectly, then. If all 4 cylinders held a consistent-but-low pressure then your engine shows signs of uniform wear (such as unimaginably high miles or you have been running no air filter for a long time, ect...) or the test was faulty. It would be extremely rare that a head gasket failed around all four cylinders at the same time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi I ll start from beginning started with small amount of coolant loss which cudnt find no crust on oil cap coolant looks and smells fine no over heating small amount of white smoke til it warms up then clears fan kicks in no problem obv wanted to get car compression tested which I witnessed from the inside of my car this is how he done it he took sparks out disconnected coil he put his tester on each 1 as I cranked car for bout 10 secs on each cylinder each 1 read 90 but I no nothing about cars so need advice on what to do many thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obv I was 1 doing throttle but all I done was pressed accelerator while cranking my foot was down on accelerator I take it it was ment to be

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
90 psi is low, but it could be a sign of a bad compression tester as well. If engines have bad compression they don't usually run. I'd be leary of this being an indicator even if it was my compression tester.

What is the mileage on the engine? When was the last time the timing belt was done? When you experience your misfire- is the check engine light flashing?

The symptom you're describing- misfire, or generally not running good- could be a sign of several problems. I would start with the most cheapest fix or check first before jumping to something extremely expensive like a head gasket. Furthermore, what if your problem was merely worn spark plugs, and you spent 1000 quid on an unnecessary repair that also included new spark plugs which fixed the problem. Dive into the usual suspects first: spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, clean the MAF, clean the PCV valve, clean the IAC, change the air filter, and see what happens after you've done all this which anyone should be able to do without much knowledge and a service manual.

If the compression test results are disheartening, then get it checked somewhere else to see if they come up with a higher number.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi thnx for replying my car has 120 k timing chNged at 89 k just changed all filters and oil change new spark plugs last week I'm gonna av to get it to another garage to get it tested and go from there I guess

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And sorry yes my warning light comes on now and again but not when it's missing have plugged it into diagnostics machine got 2 codes co2 sensor and heater bank 1 sensor

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
The O2 sensor determines the air to fuel ratio, if that isn't reading right then the car will run bad when the computer tries to adjust it while running. I recommend the NTK sensors off of Rockauto.com. They are the makers of the O2 sensors for Ford and is identical to the Ford sensor just cheaper.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
These cars have so many water hoses they are well known for losing small amounts of coolant and can be hard to find the cause. You have to look at every single possible leak point, the water pump can lose small amounts that get spun out of the belt so you can't find that either. Only when the leak gets worse will it maybe drip where you can find it. Heater hose attachments at bottom of firewall and the lower small hose below thermostat can leak and you not find it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts