Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a couple days ago i took out all my sparkplugs (they looked original) car has 119,xxx on it and im more than guessing the previous owner did basic maitnence (i know, i know, which is bad). but anyways i took out cyl one spark plug and it had a film of oil on it and smelled like antifreeze. cyl 2, 3, and 4, were all burnt but no anti freeze or oil on them. my dipstick keeps poping out and my oil fill hole smells like snowmobile. which i eather have a small head gasket leak or what?

and if i decide to boost it should i just put a kevlar head gasket in it now, and i cant seem to locate one...

also i have had some power loss and recently changed my fuel filter and that made the world of a diffrence!!!

thanks
wes

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Dipstick coming out is from excessive blow by this comes from rings , ring glands bad , I would do a compression test and come back with the results

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you have bad compression you should do what's called a BG 109 compression restore. It gets all the old oil and gunk out of the engine and frees the carbon an coking in the engine thus freeing the rings so they can seal properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have bad compression you have something wrong

Tom
thats a good rule of thumb! :p lol ill see what the compression is whenever i get around to borrowing my buddys compression tester. thanks for the help ill post back up with my findings..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so here are my findings with a compression checker... the needle on the compression tester is finicky wont go below 50 so idk if these are accurate readings but show consistency...

also id like to add spark plug one had a thin coating of oil... spark plug 2-4 had a thin layer of black composite... these are brand new plugs maybe a week and a half old

Cyl 1- 175Psi
Cyl 2- 175Psi
Cyl 3- 165Psi
cyl 4- 175Psi
let me know what you think

so i just picked this upfrom alldata.

Interpretation of the Results
The indicated compression pressure are considered within specification if the lowest reading cylinder is within 75% of the highest reading.

CAUTION: If engine oil is sprayed into the combustion chamber, after carrying out the measurement run the engine at 2000 rpm for about 15 minutes, in order to burn the oil and prevent damage to the catalytic converter.

If the measurement on one or more cylinders is much lower than the specified value, spray some engine oil into the combustion chamber and repeat the compression measurement.
If the reading greatly improves then the piston rings are damaged.
If the reading stays the same then the cause is either bad valve seats or valve stem oil seals.
If the measurements for two cylinders next to each other are both too low then it is very likely that the cylinder head gasket between them is burnt through. This can also be recognized by traces of engine oil in the coolant in the engine oil.
so in my case im within spec because cylinder 3 is the only low one and is not 43.75psi below the others just 10psi

so i guess what i should do tomorrow is put a little oil down cylinder number 3 and if the compression gets better i have to replace the piston rings... awesome..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts