Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy question. Does anyone know how thick the SVT head gasket is?

I was wondering since the compression is not that high, is it possible to go w/ a thinner head gasket to bump up compression? I have never laid eyes on the stocker, so there might be no room for improvement if it is very thin to begin w/. Any of you hard core guys that have tore the engines down know?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
not high? are you sure YOU'RE not high? 10.2:1 is considered very high for a factory street car. most cars run between 9:1 and 9.5:1. people are making thicker head gaskets to lower the compression so we can run more boost without having to use race gas

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you live in an area where 93 and 94 octane are available, I would think that you could easily move into the 11:1 range, but I don't know how much aof a performance benefit there would be. I'm just posting the question as a possible low cost performance gain.

That's good to know that people are increasing gasket thickness for boost applications, so is there room to go the other way?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
of course there is, you just gonna have to pay a lot of money for it. these are interference type engines, and the variable cam timing complicates things. go too far, and you'll destroy your valves

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
quicksilver said:

That's good to know that people are increasing gasket thickness for boost applications, so is there room to go the other way?
Actually you dont need to increase the gasket thickness for Boosted Engines. We made 15psi on 93 on the Dyno... SAFELY[thumb]

When we took it out for a test drive it made 17psi on the road... still on 93.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts