Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be a stupid question but, how do i go about testing my skills at HDR. I have just recently downloaded gimp, could i use that? Im really clueless at how to attempt HDR lol someone fill me in please.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i use a program called photomatix. and as far as photo wise, you have to have at least 3 pics to get the good details. for the more extreme look like this

i used +2, 0 and -2 for the exposure (the AEB setting for a canon). and for less extreme looks where you are just looking to bring out more detail, and this is the setting i prefer most i use +1, 0, -1 which is like these pics

once in photomatix its hard to not go extreme on the settings and make everything look like a cartoon, but that look gets boring quick and i like to use HDR just to capture more details rather than to make everything look fake

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I absolutly love your pics of your car and that little shack thing those are amazing. Where did you get your program? Store? Downloadable? I use a sony A200 and it has the same settings. I want to do some using my comp orange svt i think it will look sick once i get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
it is a downloadable program from here:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/

and they have a free version of the download, but it leaves three big watermarks through your pic. the program is 100 for the full version.

it could also be had as a plugin for CS2 and CS3 if you choose to do it that way

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Fl3tCh, those two pics of yours are an absolutely perfect example of how to use HDR properly. :)

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I do like the way some people use photomatix, but in general I hate the screwed up tone mapping. I prefer using CS3's hdr because thats how it is supposed to look. Details in highlights and shadows. And it does not come out over processed.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
that is all on the user though (making it look over processed i mean)
the pic i supplied with my car i dont believe looks over processed, it hardly even looks HDR really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts